Animal Care - RSPCA QLD
As an animal welfare organisation, RSPCA Qld have a variety of different volunteer roles involving hands-on animal interaction.
These roles are incredibly rewarding, but be warned - keeping animals happy and healthy requires a lot of cleaning! It can be physically demanding, and we need assistance every day of the year - whether it's sunshine or rain, a public holiday or a weekday. Of course, it's not just cleaning; there's plenty of opportunities for enrichment activities too.
Volunteer roles can involve working with:
- Domestic animals (dogs, cats, pocket pets, or farmyard) at one of our Animal Care Centres
- Domestic animals recovering from illness or medical procedures at the Domestic Hospital or clinic
- Wildlife animals recovering or rehabilitating in preparation for release to the wild, or to a wildlife carer for further rehabilitation
If you're keen to volunteer in an animal care role, please have a look at our current vacancies and submit an application.
Volunteer Positions Available
- Animal Care Assistant | Cairns
- Animal Care Assistant | Dakabin
- Animal Care Assistant | Kingaroy
- Animal Care Assistant | Mackay
- Animal Care Assistant | Toowoomba
- Animal Care Assistant | Wacol
- Animal Transfer Driver | Bundaberg
- Animal Transfer Driver | Cairns
- Animal Transfer Driver | Mackay
- Animal Transfer Driver | Townsville
- Animal Transfer Driver | Wacol & Surrounds
- Domestic Hospital Kennel Assistant
- School for Pets Assistant | Wacol
Foster - RSPCA QLD
Foster carers provide temporary homes for animals in the care of RSPCA who may need respite from the shelter environment, support to recover from an illness or just extra TLC until they are ready to find their forever home.
How do you become a foster carer?
- Fill in an Application Form so we can get to know you.
- Complete our NEW 1 Hour online training.
- Take part in a quick 20 minute virtual property check.
What type of animals are available to foster?
Please review foster regions below for specific priority needs across the state
- Puppies and kittens that are too young for rehoming.
- Animals recovering from illness or injury before being available for adoption.
- Animals requiring behaviour support work.
- Animals that need a safe haven due to a Domestic Violence.
- Animals that have to be evacuated from an emergency situation e.g. floods, bushfires, cyclone.
- Home Ever After animals that are waiting for their owner to return from hospital or whose owner has passed away and are waiting to be rehomed.
Important things to think about when considering Fostering:
- The RSPCA will work hard to ensure they make the best foster matches for you, based on your current situation and the animals needs. Placing the right animal, with the right carer, in the right situation is our priority.
- Being flexible with what animals you can open your home to, opens you to the most potential for placement.
- The Foster length greatly varies from animal to animal depending on their situation, in general most foster lengths are between 2 weeks and 6 months.
- Foster carers must be over 18 and have access to a reliable vehicle/transport.
- Landlord and Body Corporate approvals are required, which can take time to source.
- Current pets in your home must be up to date with vaccinations.
To begin your application process, review the foster regions below.
Foster Positions Available
General Support - RSPCA QLD
While there are a lot of volunteer roles at RSPCA Qld are focused on caring for the animals in our animal care centres, we have many other roles that help support us in the other areas of our organisation!
There's a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes to help keep RSPCA Qld moving like a well-oiled machine, so that we can continue to care for the animals and provide vital services to the community. Some volunteer roles require specialised skill sets or interests, so if this sounds like you, please have a look at our current vacancies.
Volunteers help us in areas such as the following:
- Marketing (e.g. graphic design, copywriting, photography)
- Call Centre and Customer Service
If you're keen to volunteer in a support volunteer role, please have a look at our current vacancies and submit an application.
Looking for an administrative volunteer role, and also passionate about Education? You might be interested in our Education Administration Assistant | Wacol role. Click here for more information!
Inspectorate & Rescue - RSPCA Qld
Our Inspectorate & Rescue team provides critical support to RSPCA Qld in a variety of roles.
In 2022, there were 28,177 animals that were attended to by one of our Rescue Units. Around 77% of these involved our beautiful Australian wildlife, including native birds, possums, koalas, kangaroos and wallabies.
If being out on the road and rescuing animals is appealing to you, the Rescue Unit Driver or Rescue Unit Assistant volunteer roles might suit you! These roles are also perfectly suited to people who want to volunteer together, such as teaming up with a friend or partner.
If you're looking for an opportunity to volunteer from home, and you have great listening and typing skills, the Administration Assistant (Transcriber) role could be perfect for you.
For all our current volunteering opportunities, please see the vacancies below.