The City of Greater Bendigo Youth Council
The City of Greater Bendigo Youth Council is one year into its current two-year term.
Description of Youth Council
The City of Greater Bendigo Youth Council is an advisory and advocacy committee whose role is to represent the voice of young people who live, work and study in the City of Greater Bendigo (the City). The City of Greater Bendigo Youth Council is an important mechanism for consultation with young people and for providing advice to the City of Greater Bendigo Council and City staff on implementation and review of the City’s Explore, Engage, Empower – Young People in Greater Bendigo (Youth Strategy) and broader policy and strategy development.
The goals of the Youth Council are to:
- Provide opportunities for young people to have their say and influence Council policies, plans and strategies.
- Promote young people as valuable citizens who make a positive contribution to the community.
- Provide opportunities for young people to develop leadership skills.
- Provide the opportunity for Councillors to meet, hear and learn from young people.
Provide opportunities for young people to consult with the wider community.
Youth Council Eligibility
To be eligible to be a member of the City of Greater Bendigo Youth Council applicants must:
- Be between the age of 14 and 24 years.
- Live, work and/or study anywhere in Greater Bendigo.
- Hold a valid Working with Children Check (volunteer level) if 18 years and older.
- Be fully vaccinated against COVID19 and be able to provide proof of vaccination.
This includes young people from all backgrounds and experiences, living in all areas of Greater Bendigo, who are eager to develop leadership skills, advocate for young people and make a difference in the community.
Youth Council Application Process
Youth Council Membership is determined via an application process, this includes a City of Greater Bendigo Youth Council Expression of Interest application addressing selection criteria, an interview and a referee check.
Applicants will be assessed on their responses to the selection criteria in their Expression of Interest and Interview.
When the next Intake for the Youth Council is scheduled, the details will appear here.