The City of Greater Bendigo Youth Council
Current Youth Council Vacancies
The City of Greater Bendigo Youth Council is one year into its current two-year term. Several vacancies on the Youth Council have become available in 2024 due to the resignations of several Youth Councillors.
Expressions of Interest for casual vacancies on the City of Greater Bendigo Youth Council for 2024 are now open and will close on Monday 13 November 2023. The available positions on the Youth Council are for a period of 12 months.
Description of Youth Council
The City of Greater Bendigo Youth Council is an advisory and advocacy committee whose role is to represent the voice of young people who live, work and/or study in the City of Greater Bendigo. The Youth Council achieves this by:
- Providing advice to the City of Greater Bendigo Council on plans, strategies, policies and projects so that they better align to the needs of young people;
- Engaging with young people to identify their priorities; and
- Advocating on issues that directly impact young people.
The Youth Council comprises of fifteen to eighteen young people. All Youth Councillors are volunteers.
Youth Council Eligibility
To be eligible to be a member of the City of Greater Bendigo Youth Council applicants must:
- Be between the age of 14 and 24 years (Youth Councillors are required to resign when they turn 25).
- Live, work and/or study anywhere in Greater Bendigo.
- Hold a valid Working with Children Check (volunteer level) and Police Check if 18 years and older.
This includes young people from all backgrounds and experiences, living in all areas of Greater Bendigo, who are eager to develop leadership skills, advocate for young people and make a difference in the community.
Youth Council Application Process
Youth Council Membership is determined via an application process, this includes a City of Greater Bendigo Youth Council Expression of Interest application addressing selection criteria, an interview, and a referee check.
Applicants will be assessed on their responses to the selection criteria in their Expression of Interest and Interview.
It is a requirement that all volunteers 18 years or over with the City of Greater Bendigo have a valid and successful working with children check and police check