Dakota County Environmental Resources
Dakota County Recycling Ambassador Program
The Dakota County Recycling Ambassador program provides training on waste reduction, recycling, composting and solid waste.
Ambassadors agree to volunteer 30 hours putting their skills to work. Ambassadors have the opportunity to staff informational booths at community events, make presentations, and work on special projects in their neighborhoods, schools, and workplaces.
Fix-It Clinics provide an opportunity for residents to receive free assistance from repair savvy volunteers guiding them through each step from troubleshooting to completed repair.
Several volunteer opportunities are available to help at a Fix-It Clinic. Volunteer fixers who have skills in soldering, electronics repair, electrical repair, sewing, wood working and general tinkering are essential to making the clinics successful. General volunteers to greet residents are needed as well.
- 02.18: Fix-It Clinic - Apple Valley
- 03.19: Fix-It Clinic - West St. Paul
- 04.15: Fix-It Clinic - Hastings
- 05.21: Fix-It Clinic - Lakeville
- 06.17: Fix-It Clinic - Eagan
- 07.15: Fix-It Clinic - Farmington
- 08.19: Fix-It Clinic - Inver Grove Heights
- 09.17: Fix-It Clinic - Eagan
- 10.21: Fix-It Clinic - Hastings
- 11.18: Fix-It Clinic - Rosemount
- 12.02: Fix-It Clinic - St. Paul
Green Squad - Event Waste Management Assistance
Green Squad volunteers help our county events recycle more and create less waste. Green Squad volunteers are composed of Dakota County Recycling Ambassadors who are trained to be good stewards of our resources and to help others make smart decisions when it comes to recycling and waste management. Volunteers must first complete Dakota County's Recycling Ambassador program to participate in Green Squad events.
Protecting Dakota County’s valuable surface water and groundwater resources is an important responsibility for everyone who lives and works here.Dakota County helps protect water quality every step of the way.
Dakota County General Volunteer and Internship Opportunities
Citizen Advisory Committees
Dakota County Citizen Advisory Committees support County government by involving citizens in the decision-making process, meeting requirements of state law, helping to define community norms and standards, providing technical expertise, serving as advocates, offering feedback, and reflecting the diverse interests of County clients and residents.
- Adult Citizen Advisory Committees: Citizen Advisory Committee
- Adult Citizen Advisory Committees: County Special Board of Appeal and Equalization
- Adult Citizen Advisory Committees: Extension Committee
- Adult Citizen Advisory Committees: Library Advisory Committee
- Adult Citizen Advisory Committees: Planning Commission
- Adult Citizen Advisory Committees: Public Art Citizen Advisory Committee
- Adult Citizen Advisory Committees: Workforce Advisory Committee
- Adult Citizen Advisory Committees: Zoning Board of Adjustment Committee
- Youth Citizen Advisory Committees: Extension Committee
- Youth Citizen Advisory Committees: Library Advisory Committee
- Youth Citizen Advisory Committees: Public Art Citizen Advisory Committee
Eagle Scout and Gold Award Projects
Heading Home Dakota is a 10 year plan to prevent and end homelessness, which was finalized in 2012. The work to create it included a variety of surveys and focus groups, a community retreat, analysis and utilization of data on homelessness in Dakota County, and the development of a strategic plan and an implementation guide to meet the needs in our community. Please check out our plan and join us in our effort to end homelessness in Dakota County!
Internships & Temporary Positions
Dakota County is looking for the best and the brightest to join our team and take on the challenging and rewarding work of public service. The work we do is unique – we protect public health, keep our communities safe, ensure our vulnerable residents are cared for, help residents get back on their feet; protect our natural resources, get veterans the help they deserve, make sure traffic flows efficiently, inspire children to read and so much more. Grow your career at Dakota County where you can truly “Be More.”
DISCLAIMER: The opportunities listed below are not managed by Dakota County but instead are associated with an organization located in Dakota County. You may have to complete additional steps with the host organization to fully apply for this opportunity. The organizations that host these opportunities take full responsibility for the management of the events listed below.
Dakota County Sheriff's Office
The Dakota County Sheriff's Explorer Program, run by the Dakota County Sheriff's Office in partnership with Learning For Life, is a non-profit organization dedicated to introducing young adults (14 - 20 years of age) to Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice careers. Explorers are trained by department advisors in law enforcement techniques, community policing, crime prevention and first aid. This program helps prepare participants for a career in law enforcement and beyond.
The Dakota County Sheriff’s Office enhances the training and education of students pursuing careers in law enforcement, corrections and criminal justice, so students gain practical experience. Interns have the opportunity to shadow deputies within various divisions in effort to provide them with a holistic view of the many opportunities available at the Dakota County Sheriff’s Office.