Animal Fostering Program
Join the FWACC Foster Program!
Foster caregivers help us save lives of pets recovering from illness or injury, orphaned kittens and puppies, and many other animals that may thrive better in a home environment than in the shelter. Most pets at FWACC that are available for adoption are also available for foster, and we welcome fosters who can take pets into their homes for any length of time. Foster parents help increase the adoptability of these shelter animals by providing care and a foster home during this time of transition from the shelter to an adopter’s home.
Foster parents are most in need for:
- Overnight sleepovers or day trips for adult dogs. Short term foster decreases stress in our animals, gives them a much needed break from the shelter, and helps us gain valuable information about the pet to help match them with their future adopter. This is a great way to try out fostering because it is a short-term commitment that makes a HUGE difference in the life of a shelter pet!
- Puppies/kittens or moms with newborns that are too young to be adopted
- Pets recovering from an illness or injury needing some extra TLC and medical care
- Adult dogs who have been in the shelter for longer than 60 days. Some animals (through no fault of their own!) can be passed by in the shelter. These animals often times just need to get out of the shelter and have someone advocating for them to find an adopter.
How to foster:
- Fill out a volunteer application (link on the right) and sign our foster agreement.
- Our foster coordinator will send a welcome email within 72 hours of you submitting your application and get you set up to come down to the shelter and pick out a foster pet.
- Once you take your foster pet home, you will receive a foster manual.
What does the shelter provide?
- WE provide all vaccinations, spay/neuter, microchip and pre-authorized vet care for your foster pet. Food, treats and other basic supplies (beds, crates, leash, etc.) will be supplied to you, depending on availability (these are donation based).
- YOU provide the basics – your home, exercise, space, socialization and love.
Please select the volunteer opportunity you are interested in from the general interest links below, then click "fill in an application" in the top right hand corner under "I would like to volunteer". For more information about the foster program specifically, please email FWACCFoster@fortworthtexas.gov