Drop-In Volunteering is a great way to try the Pulling Together Program. Drop-in volunteers do not need to apply online but must sign a liability waiver at each event. There are teams of active Pulling Together volunteers in more than 40 different parks and natural areas, so there are many opportunities to try. Volunteers work on high rocky outcrops, creek side forests, wetlands, wildflower meadows and waterways. Drop-In Volunteers work alongside and under the supervision of Lead Stewards and Saanich Staff to ensure that volunteer work is done in accordance with the restoration work plan and adheres to relevant Saanich polices and restoration Best Management Practices (BMPs).
- work parties usually run for 2 hours on various days of the week. Drop-in during a work party to help out.
Duties and Responsibilities
- perform restoration activities in compliance with restoration work plan and Best Management Practices (BMPs), including invasive species removal, planting of native species, spreading mulch, watering, care of trees, etc.
- follow all Saanich policies and procedures, particularly safety, and share in ensuring safety procedures are followed
- consult Lead Steward or Staff on new approaches or ideas
Skills and Requirements
- A love of the outdoors and supporter of parks
- Willingness to work in various weather conditions and get dirty
- Physical fitness and ability to work on uneven terrain
- Ability to work well with others and at ease taking direction
- Sign a liability waiver each time you attend an event
Training and Benefits
- No application needed!
- Check out our calendar of events(parks) to find an upcoming work party to attend. Click on the name of the event to get more information on the volunteer meeting location for that event
- On the day of the event,
- please wear sturdy, closed toed footwear, and old clothes that can get dirty.
- bring water to drink, work gloves, and loppers or pruners, if you have them.
- Note: Events may be cancelled due to snow, extreme rain, high winds, or unforeseen circumstances.
- If you would like to bring a group (four or more) to participate in our events, please contact us in advance to ensure we have enough tools.
Parks Seeking Volunteers
|PKOLS (Mount Douglas)
We look forward to having you join our Parks Volunteer Team!