The Trinity River and its tributaries run through Grand Prairie, providing habitat for our native wildlife and recreation through fishing and boating opportunities.
Unfortunately, these streams can become polluted with litter. The majority of this litter is made up of plastic bottles, plastic bags, and Styrofoam. This litter is called 'floatables' because the majority of it floats on the surface of the water creating an eyesore for the community.
You can do your part by not littering and by assisting with stream cleanups during the stream cleanup season which runs from mid-October through mid-March each year.
- 1 hour start delay***Adopt-a-Stream with BSA 498 and VCM, Inc. of Cedar Creek at Friendship Park
- Adopt-a-Stream with Trinity Coalition of Cottonwood Creek at SE 14th Street Bridge
- Adopt-a-Stream with Trinity Coalition of Mountain Creek Lake at Mi Familia Park
- Adopt-a-Stream with Young Women's Leadership Academy
- Beacon Branch Adopt-a-Stream
- Fish Creek Cleanup Challenge
(photo courtesy of Ricky Saldivar)
Farmers Market Ambassadors Needed!
The Grand Prairie Farmers Market is open 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays from April through mid-December and features locally grown fruits and vegetables, baked goods, tamales, salsas, dips, relishes, eggs, honey, chips, plants, soaps, candles and more.
Our friendly and outgoing Farmers Market ambassadors are an important part of the market atmosphere! Duties include:
- Stay at the information table and act as greeter/host
- Talk to guests about the market and City events
- Help with games/ events that are held at the Market
We're looking for dependable volunteers who can come on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, about three hours per week. Minimum age to volunteer is 16.
**If interested, please contact the Farmers Market Manager, Ray Kunze at rkunze@GPTX.org. A commitment to serve on an ongoing basis is required.**