Volunteer Job Description:
- Assist participants with knitting projects
- Organize materials and ensure that participants have the equipment they need
- Assist with communication between English-speaking staff and volunteers and Punjabi-speaking participants
- Offer friendship and support to participants while they knit
- Knowledge of the challenges facing newcomers
- Ability to knit (you don't need to be an expert!)
- Fluency in English and Punjabi
- Patience and empathy
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural differences
This volunteer position is best suited for someone who is:
- Outgoing and friendly
- Not judgmental or critical
Immigrant Youth Services / SACRO
Youth Buddy - Youth Peer Tutor
The Newcomer Youth Peer Tutor attends our after school programming and assists immigrant and refugee youth aged 12-24 with their homework, English language learning, and recreation activities. The Peer Tutor would be helping with middle school, high school, or university level assignments. There is especially a need for science and math tutors at the middle and high school level, and essay writing support at the university level. Ability to speak a language other than English is an asset, but not required, especially Arabic, Punjabi, or Spanish.
Tutors need to be available Monday-Friday 3:00- 5:00 pm, a minimum commitment of once a week for 1 year. All volunteers must complete a criminal record check.
If you want to work with youth and willing to share your knowledge and skills this is the role for you!
REPORTS TO: Ruby Bhatti