MAKE A DIFFERENCE JOIN OUR TEAM
PROGRAM NAME: Community Connections
POSITION TITLE: English Conversation Circle Volunteer
SCHEDULE: Weekly, 2 hours per session/ once a week
LOCATION: Online via Zoom
REPORTS TO: Lata Aggarwal
DESCRIPTION: English Virtual Conversation Circle volunteers assist immigrant and refugee newcomers with informal English practice at weekly online drop-in sessions. Volunteers lead small groups of participants organized according to their English level. This volunteer position involves leading a small group (3-4 people) of newcomers with various topics that support learning about Canadian culture; practicing listening and speaking with others; learning new vocabulary; and understanding idioms and expressions. Archway staff provide materials and resources to assist with discussions.
Conversation Circles give newcomers an opportunity to connect with each other and practice speaking English, while learning about Canadian culture and their new community from a volunteer.
TIME COMMITMENT: In most cases, the time commitment is 2 hrs per week (min. 6 months.) Volunteers can choose either the morning or evening session: Tuesdays from 10-11:30am or Wednesdays from 7:00-8:30pm.
- Facilitate an online conversation group of English language learners (normally 3-5 participants)
- Commit to a regular volunteer schedule (one class per week)
- Have access to a laptop/computer and reliable internet access
- Encourage attendees to practice speaking English
- Manage dialogue and keep conversation flowing
- Ensure that conversations remain respectful
- Share insights into Canadian culture
- Attend occasional training sessions
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn about the challenges facing new immigrants/refugees
- Willingness and ability to communicate with newcomers who are still learning English
- Previous experience interacting with individuals whose first language is not English
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural differences
- Available to volunteer for 2 hours per week
- Previous teaching and/or facilitation experience is an asset
This volunteer position is best suited for someone who is:
- Patient and friendly
- An excellent communicator
- Open-minded and non-judgmental
- Comfortable using the computer
- A native or fluent English speaker
- Reliable and committed
This program is currently accepting volunteers.
We are looking for:
This Youth Mentor Program (In It Together) being run by the South Asian Community Resource Office (SACRO) is a program where low to moderate risk youth (Ages 13-18) can be referred to engage in extracurricular activities. This program will help them learn how to have a pro-social, positive relationship with a role model by being matched with a screened and trained volunteer mentor.
Immigrant Youth Services
Volunteers are needed to help with our groups for youth who are new to Canada. Volunteers help newcomer youth to learn English, make friends, and integrate into their new life in Canada.
Youth Mentorship Program - South Asian Community Resource Office
This Youth Mentor Program being run by the SACRO is a program where low to moderate risk youth can be referred to engage in extracurricular activities. This program will help them learn how to have a pro-social, positive relationship with a role model through being matched with a screened and trained volunteer mentor. The volunteer schedule is flexible meeting the menter and mentee schedule.
Volunteers need to be 19 years or older, complete a criminal record check and have a valid driver license.
If you can connect with youth and have a strong inter-cultural communication skills, this is the volunteer role for you!
REPORTS TO: Ruby Bhatti – Youth Mentor Facilitator
Foundry is looking for Volunteer Driver's to transport youth to and from group activities. Activate group is every Tuesday from 5pm-6pm; Life Hacks group is every Thursday 3:30pm-5:30pm (unless otherwise posted for both groups). We are looking for qualified individuals who are wanting to give back to the community, and able to do so with a few hours a week. Whether one Tuesdays or only Thursdays, or both! Apply through Better Impact today if this sounds like a role for you!