Urban Farm - Gardener Assistant
Do you have a green thumb? Do you want to take a kick at food insecurity, join our team!
Garden assistant volunteers are needed for the summer of 2021. Volunteers will assist gardeners with planting, harvesting, composting and garden maintenance. We ask volunteers commit to at least one 4 hour shift a week. You don't have to be an expert gardener just a willingness to learn!
Program Support Volunteer
Supporting Abby Dads though engaging with a diversity of clients who may be experiencing difficulty in their relationships, and are having challenges with regular access to their children. Able to operate in an environment where confidentiality and an empathetic attitude are valued. Enjoy working with clients in a child friendly drop-in environment and also able to function as a contributing member in psycho-educational Anger Awareness and Men in Relationships curriculum focused programming. Willing to participate in set up and take down of rooms where program activities take place, and help with other activities as required.
Programs run on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights and Saturday mornings.
We ask for a minimum 6 month commitment and each applicant undergoes screening including a Criminal Record Check to ensure suitability.
Volunteer Job Description:
- Assist participants with knitting projects
- Organize materials and ensure that participants have the equipment they need
- Assist with communication between English-speaking staff and volunteers and Punjabi-speaking participants
- Offer friendship and support to participants while they knit
- Knowledge of the challenges facing newcomers
- Ability to knit (you don't need to be an expert!)
- Fluency in English and Punjabi
- Patience and empathy
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural differences
This volunteer position is best suited for someone who is:
- Outgoing and friendly
- Not judgmental or critical