* Blues Programme- England North
From before they are born until they are into their twenties, we help disadvantaged children across the UK. We help them through fostering or adoption – and by intervening early to stop neglect and abuse. We make life better for disabled children. We influence policy and advocate for change. Our 7,000 staff and volunteers operate over 600 services, improving the lives of 370,000 children, teenagers, parents and carers every year. We succeed by doing what’s right, doing what’s needed, and doing what works for children.
The Blues Programme is a six-week cognitive activity-based course, engaging students (13-19 years) to help tackle early signs of teenage anxiety and depression through implementing cognitive restructuring techniques and coping strategies which they can apply to daily life. 70% of pupils who have taken part so far have shown an improvement in their mental health and emotional wellbeing.
* Young Ambassadors- Participation & Engagement
The Aims of Youth Empowerment Scheme (YES)
With Young People, For Young People.
At Action for Children, we are committed to listening, empowering, valuing and involving young people in decision making throughout the organisation….this is what we call Participation.
Participation is important because it gives you the opportunity to have your say on issues and decisions that are relevant and affect you. Participation, gives you the chance to get involved, learn new skills and meet other young people from across the UK.
By involving and listening to young people directly, we believe that we will have a better insight into what young people need and want. If our resources, training, presentations and decisions are co-designed with young people, for young people then we believe that young people are more likely to support the outcome and be meaningfully involved within the organisation.
AIM of the Youth Empowerment Scheme (YES)
Provide young people with the opportunity to:
- Have their say in designing new resources for staff, help deliver training, be involved in campaigns and presentations
- Create a network of young people who are “Experts by Experience”
- Involve young people in decision making throughout the organisation
- Raise awareness of matters affecting young people
- Access training opportunities- online and face to face
- Develop young people’s confidence, communication skills and experience of working in a team.
- Personally, professionally and socially develop by offering work experience and staff shadowing opportunities
- Make a difference to Action for Children