BC SPCA - Nanaimo
Join our Foster Roster
New foster families are needed to provide safe and loving temporary homes to dogs, cats, rabbits, and other vulnerable animals before they can find, or return to, their forever homes.
The minimum commitment is a six-month period, but foster placements happen on an as-needed basis and range in durations from a few days to a few months. Any help makes a world of difference to the health and wellness of these animals!
Next steps to join the team:
- Read the role description and check that you meet all the key requirements below.
- Take photos of the spaces your foster animal would have access to in your home and outdoors.
- Fill in an application for the foster care role and upload your photos. (You will receive a response to your application within 5 business days)
- Complete 1-3 hours of orientation and training online
- Meet the BC SPCA foster coordinator by phone, video call, or in person
- Continue virtual training in animal care and behaviour while waiting for a placement
- 19+ years of age, or a family with an adult to act as the lead foster
- Pet-friendly housing including a separate room with a closing door and window
- Ability to drive animals to vet care appointments
- Time to spend with your foster animal(s)
- Interest in learning more about animal behaviour and care
- Available to foster animals within the next six months
- Desire to help increase the adoptability of animals
Email your Regional Volunteer Engagement Coordinator, Kevin Nowottnick, at firstname.lastname@example.org