APEGA - K-12 Outreach
APEGA's commitment to the practices of engineering and geoscience in Alberta begins by inspiring a lifelong love of engineering and geoscience through our K-12 Outreach Initiatives (https://www.apega.ca/educators-students/k-12-students).
Donate your time to inspiring lifelong curiosity and a love of learning and have fun while helping. Design complex challenges for students to solve at the APEGA Science Olympics, connect with classrooms to share your expertise, or introduce the public to the wonders of geoscience at the APEGA Rock & Fossil Clinic. However you want to share your passion, APEGA has an opportunity for you.
When you share your valuable insight and experience, you make a lasting impact on future professionals.
What we do
- Inspire students and empower them to pursue their passions
- Demonstrate the diverse applications of engineering and geoscience and how they positively affect the world around us
- Equip students with skills for success in our dynamic world.
What we’re looking for
- Members and non-members who are interested in enhancing understanding of the professions and the variety of relevant careers available in these fields
- Members who are interested in sharing their passion for their professions with youth
- Members who are interested in sharing their professional experience and expertise with students and the public
APEGA Science Olympics
Science Olympics is back and better than ever! APEGA's K-12 Outreach team is currently seeking enthusiastic volunteers interested in sharing their passion for engineering and geoscience with students at the 2022 APEGA Science Olympics. This hybrid virtual and in-person event is a great opportunity to foster a love for Engineering and Geoscience in students, promote your profession in the community, and log Professional Development Hours with APEGA.
Virtual Rock & Fossil Clinic
The APEGA K-12 Outreach Team is looking for enthusiastic volunteers who are passionate about geoscience and willing to share their expertise with the next generation of geoscientists! Volunteers will be responsible for delivering a short presentation and hands-on activity related to a specific geoscience topic. Presentations will be delivered in real-time through a video-conferencing platform. Volunteers will also have an opportunity to showcase samples from their personal collections, if interested. Successful applicants can be located anywhere in the province.
APEGA - University Outreach
APEGA’s University Outreach department and its volunteers provide valuable knowledge, encouragement, and experience to young adults preparing to enter the industry. We are looking for volunteers like you to help the engineers and geoscientists of tomorrow navigate the complicated path of starting their careers. If you’re an established or newly licensed professional member, you are a valuable resource to both the profession and to those looking to enter it. Join us at one of our upcoming career-building events for a chance to share your experience and knowledge. Help students build vital career-search skills, network, and share your story with tomorrow’s professional engineers and geoscientists. Human resources professionals and members with hiring experience are encouraged to apply for these opportunities.
What we do
- Inspire young people to choose careers in engineering, geoscience and STEM
- Provide valuable guidance through initiatives such as resume reviews and mock interviews to help new graduates and aspiring professionals get a head start on their careers
- Help graduates and members-in-training build their professional networks with hosted networking events
What we’re looking for
- Members and non-members (especially human resources professionals) with hiring experience
- Passionate science advocates who love to share their knowledge
- Professional members with expertise in the areas of robotics, mechanical engineering, and coding to mentor student special projects
Career Skills Building
Starting a career in a new industry can be a daunting task. Between applications and interviews there’s many places where candidates can go wrong. Help set the next generation of engineers and geoscientists on the career path by volunteering as part of APEGA’s University Outreach Program. Our events are designed to give upcoming professionals the skills they need to kickstart their careers and range from mock-interviews, to discussion panels, to resume review sessions. Professional Members with hiring experience, or human resource professionals are invited to share their expertise at our upcoming events!
|VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! - Virtual Resume Review
APEGA's Virtual Resume Review opportunity is seeking volunteers with hiring and resume review experience to provide anonymous feedback on student resumes through a digital platform. Please consider donating a few hours of your time with this vital opportunity for students to ensure that their application rises to the top of the pile.
Skills and qualifications
- Professional engineer, professional geoscientist, professional geologist, professional geophysicist, or professional licensee designation and in good standing with APEGA
- 1+ years formal hiring experience
Going virtual doesn’t mean we can’t network. Join us for an evening of virtual networking with students and emerging professionals. This is a great opportunity for experienced professionals and members-in-training to share their career journey and give valuable advice to the next generation of engineers and geoscientists. Help someone spark their career and make valuable professional connections.
November 18th, 2021 | 6:00 - 7:15pm