The Welcome Program - Sydney
Welcome Program - Sydney
About the Welcome Program
Welcome Program aims to encourage inclusiveness and strengthen a sense of belonging by engaging Volunteer Ambassadors (residents) to engage in community activities of welcoming refugees/new arrivals.
The Program helps refugees/new arrivals to feel welcome and more connected, establish relationships and boost their self-confidence to access and participate in what Sydney can offer. It will also assist the broader Sydney community to increase their understanding of the humanitarian program and refugee needs as well as offer a unique opportunity to engage in an intercultural experience to learn from, and about each other. Welcome Program activities can include social, cultural and recreational activities across Sydney.
When and commitment
Minimum one day per month for six months. (Primarily weekends, occasionally weekdays)
Various locations around Sydney (eg Blue Mountains, Bondi Beach, Sydney CBD)
What you will do
- Assist newcomers during events, tours and outings with language support
- Accompany newcomers on public transport to and from Western Sydney to Welcome Program activities to help build confidence
- Assist in activity coordination as required – i.e. knowledge of public transport meeting places
- Support clients to complete photo consent forms on the way there and feedback forms on the way back
- Share your interest in Sydney events and activities
- Create a welcoming, enjoyable experience which encourages intercultural exchange and dialogue
- Take photos and provide feedback of the activities to Community Engagement Project Officer
- Help to create an encouraging, inclusive and supportive network for people seeking support
All volunteers have the responsibility to:
- Actively support SSI’s vision and values
- Work in accordance with SSI policies and procedures
- Follow all reasonable directions provided by SSI staff or delegate
- Maintain confidentiality and keep client information securely
- Excellent communication and ability to speak either Arabic, Dari, Ukrainian
- Warm, friendly and welcoming nature
- Genuine interest in learning about different cultures and sharing knowledge with others
- Previous experience working with people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds
Volunteers, students and interns will have access to reimbursement for all pre- approved expenses including reasonable travel expenses. Volunteers, students, interns using their own vehicle will need to provide SSI Group with photocopies of their driver’s licence, comprehensive car insurance and compulsory third-party insurance.
Volunteers, students, interns will be provided with access to SSI Group’s flexible, extensive and innovative training program.