Community Refugee Welcome Centre - Sydney
Community Refugee Welcome Centre
About the Community Refugee Welcome Centre
The Community Refugee Welcome Centre (CRWC) was opened in 2017 when it was initiated by SSI, Inner West Council and the Catholic Diocese of Sydney. It is the only welcome centre of its kind in Sydney NSW.
The CRWC provides a place for connection between the local community and refugees, and people seeking asylum through a range of programs in a safe and supportive space.
Today, the Centre is funded and supported through a partnership between SSI and Inner West Council.
The Centre creates a welcoming space for people from refugee and asylum seeker backgrounds, including providing programs and activities, which includes wellbeing and skill development/capacity development activities such as arts, storytelling, dance, cooking, tapestry, learn to swim sessions, pathways to employment through TAFE outreach and training, refugee-led events, such Refugee Week (annually at mid June) and opportunities for social connection with Inner West locals.
When and commitment
Minimum of weekly commitment for six months. Weekday and weekend activities available.
504 Wharf Rd, Lilyfield NSW 2040
What you will do
- Assist with program and activity development, planning, organizing and implementation
- Assist with office/center management and admin duties
- Create a welcoming, enjoyable experience to encourage participation and intercultural exchange and dialogue
- Good understanding of and commitment to CRWC's purpose and goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Warm, friendly and welcoming nature
- Good administration skills
- Previous experience working with people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds
- Relevant community language (Arabic, Dari, Ukrainian)
All volunteers have the responsibility to
- Actively support SSI’s vision and values
- Work in accordance with SSI policies and procedures
- Follow all reasonable directions provided by SSI staff or delegate
- Maintain confidentiality and keep client information securely
Volunteers, students and interns will have access to reimbursement for all pre- approved expenses including reasonable travel expenses. Volunteers, students, interns using their own vehicle will need to provide SSI Group with photocopies of their driver’s licence, comprehensive car insurance and compulsory third-party insurance.
Volunteers, students, interns will be provided with access to SSI Group’s flexible, extensive and innovative training program.