Hosparus Health Inpatient Care Center (HICC)
Patient support volunteers at the Hosparus Health Inpatient Care Center (HICC) assist the staff with administrative work and offer companionship visits to patient and family members. Under the direction of HICC staff, volunteers may sit with patients who appear close to death, to offer presence.
Volunteers usually schedule a shift of varying lengths. HICC Volunteers will report to the Volunteer Manager and the Charge Nurse on duty at the HICC during his/her shift.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Upon acceptance of assignment, collaborate with the volunteer staff and team members to determine appropriate role in working on the HICC.
- Communicates with the volunteer staff or team members regarding observations, ideas, or concerns related to the patient/family.
- Maintains strict confidentiality regarding the patient/family.
- Completes all required documentation of time on the Volunteer Time Sheet.
- Provides patient care closure (bereavement support) to family members, if appropriate.
- Complies with Hosparus Health policies and procedures for volunteers as written in the Volunteer Handbook.
- Volunteers are not permitted to lift patients, perform any medical procedure, administer or transport medications, transport patients or family members.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability and willingness to maintain appropriate boundaries.
- Compassion, empathy, good communication and listening skills.
- Willingness to take initiative with helping staff, to look for work that needs to be done without being asked, and to introduce yourself to patients and families.
- Ability to be with patients as they are dying -- sitting with them, being present, offering a gentle touch, a soft voice, and a spirit of friendship.
- Dependability. Please inform the staff when unable to attend your designated shift.
- Flexibility to work well in a highly active environment with a variety of people.
Training Requirements: In order to accept any volunteer opportunity at Hosparus Health, a volunteer must successfully complete all required training and screening in accordance with Hosparus Health policies and procedures, including character references, criminal background check, and all required health screenings (including the additional immunization requirements for the HICC). All Volunteer time is to be documented according to Hosparus Health time standards and on a Hosparus Health Time Record or an approved alternative. This position requires volunteers to complete the 8-hour patient care training.
Additional Training Requirements: Completion of HICC specific training.