Hosparus Health cares for patients at the end of life and supports their families and caregivers. Anything that can provide comfort for our patients is welcome. For many, that feeling comes from blankets that are made by loving hands and donated to Hosparus Health.
When a blanket is given to a patient, it is a gift to their family as well, something they can keep after the patient is no longer with them physically. The blankets not only provide comfort and warmth but also special memories.
- Care blankets are generally placed across the foot of the bed (over the patient’s lower legs and feet) or across the lap when sitting -- the size should be about 3’ X 4’. Slightly larger or smaller sizes will be accepted, but the 3' x 4' size works best for our patients.
- Care Blankets should be clean, in new condition and from a non-smoking environment. No perfumes or other scents of any kind.
- Please use caution if you have pets – materials and finished Care Blankets should be free from pet hair and smells.
- Quilted, crocheted, or knitted blankets are welcome.
- We have an ongoing need for veteran's recognition care blankets. These are handmade blankets that are presented to a veteran in our care, usually by a volunteer who is also an armed forces veteran. The dying veteran is presented with a special certificate of recognition for their service and a patriotic or military theme blanket.
No volunteer training is required. Contact the volunteer manager for your community to schedule a time to meet with them to drop off your handmade blankets. We do keep track of the number of care blankets and the time that it took you to make them. In addition to knowing time spent making the care blankets, we will ask for your address, phone number and/or email address.