Pet Visitation Volunteer
A Pet Visitation Volunteer must have their animal certified with an accredited animal assisted therapy service. The volunteer will visit Hosparus Health patients in their homes, nursing facilities, and/or the HICC. They may also work at special events, such as birthday parties, fundraisers, or Kourageous Kids (Pediatric) events.
Hours vary upon assignment; based on patient and family needs
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Pet Visitation Volunteers will be contacted by the Volunteer Department and given requests.
- Upon accepting a patient assignment, the volunteer will contact patient and/or family or nursing facility to arrange the visit.
- Display skill and sensitivity toward any patient, family member or resident of a nursing facility that is fearful of animals.
Skills and Abilities:
- Completion of application process and acceptance into the Hosparus Health Volunteer program.
- Completion of Volunteer Training course or equivalent.
- Pet certification and current vaccinations/license for the pet (to be kept in volunteer file).
- Complies with all requirements for accredited animal assisted therapy service certification.
- Compassion, empathy, good communication and listening skills.
- Ability and willingness to maintain appropriate boundaries.
Training Requirements: In order to accept any volunteer opportunity at Hosparus Health, a volunteer must successfully complete all required training and screening in accordance with Hosparus Health policies and procedures, including character references, criminal background check, annual TB skin test and paperwork. All volunteer time is to be documented according to Hosparus Health time standards and on a Hosparus Health Time Record or an approved alternative.
Additional Training: Utilize on-going re-certification classes and participate in ongoing training as offered.