Women's Group Volunteer
Volunteers interact with women in the groups to provide a safe and supportive environment for women to connect, gain information on parenting, health and other topics and practice English.
The Australian Refugee Association provides a range of support services to people from a refugee background. Volunteers support the group facilitator to provide a friendly, supportive and safe environment for mothers to talk and learn about topics of interest and importance to them, related to bringing up a family and living in Australia. Groups are held on a weekly basis at Salisbury locations during school terms.
Volunteers may be involved in the following:
- Supporting the facilitator with pack up and pack down
- Supporting women to complete the attendance and new referral forms
- Conversational English with attendees and supporting women to participate in discussions and activities.
Volunteers can benefit from the satisfaction of supporting new arrival women gain skills to in various areas such as parenting and health, the opportunity to develop social connections, and an increased awareness and understanding about other cultures and the refugee experience. Volunteers have the opportunity to develop personal skills and confidence, to increase their community engagement, and gain a better understanding of the refugee and community services sector. Regular training opportunities are provided.
- Female volunteers are required for the role, due to the demographics of the groups.
- Open to communicating with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Patient, understanding and respectful of varied cultural attitudes and expectations.
- Complete application form, can be downloaded from ARA website
- Attend ARA Volunteer Orientation session
- Attend Cultural Support Group Program induction session
- DHS Working With Children Clearance (available free for volunteers)
- Complete online Child Safe Environments training (available free for volunteers)
- Reference check will be undertaken prior to becoming an active volunteer
Commitment: Weekly, during school term only
Time Required: 3 hours per week
For further information, please contact the Volunteer Services Officer:
E: firstname.lastname@example.org PH: 8354 2951
Or download our application form: