Youth Programs Volunteer
Would you like to help youth of refugee background to excel in their academic and social life? Provide support and guidance with school work and recreational activities by volunteering in our Youth Programs.
The Australian Refugee Association provides a range of support services to people from a refugee background. Volunteers can provide tutoring and mentoring support to youth and engage with youth in various activities. The support provided may include practice of English, support with studies as well as social support in adjusting to mainstream schooling and settlement in Australian society. Programs include Homework Clubs at various locations and Youth Hang Out located in Salisbury or Marion. Programs run during school term only and volunteers may work with different young people each week. All programs have a facilitator present and no teaching experience is necessary.
Volunteers may be involved in the following:
-Assist with high school homework and assignments at Homework Clubs
-Provide guidance with Australian school and social life
-Engage with youth through a variety of activities at the Youth Hang Out
-Assist youth to develop life skills, improve their individual capacity and well-being.
Volunteers can benefit from the satisfaction of supporting new arrival youth gain skills needed to thrive in their new home, and the opportunity gain an increased awareness and understanding about other cultures and the refugee experience. Volunteers have the opportunity to develop personal skills and confidence, to increase their community engagement, and gain a better understanding of the refugee and community services sector. Regular training opportunities are provided.
- Genuine interest in and ability to relate to youth
- Open to communicating with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Patient, understanding and respectful of varied cultural attitudes and expectations
- Complete application form, can be downloaded from ARA website
- Attend ARA Volunteer Orientation session
- Attend Youth Programs induction session
-DHS Working With Children Clearance (available free for volunteers)
- Complete online Child Safe Environments training (available free for volunteers)
- Reference check will be undertaken prior to becoming an active volunteer
Commitment: 6 months- during school term only
Time Required: 2 hrs per week
For further information, please contact the Volunteer Services Officer:
E: firstname.lastname@example.org PH: 8354 2951
Or download our application form: