Driving Mentor Volunteer
Through supervised driving sessions with a Volunteer Driving Mentor, Learner drivers of refugee background have the opportunity to work towards completing their 75 hours of driving experience and gaining their P Plates. Volunteering in the program is a valuable way you can help learner drivers reach this life-changing goal.
The Australian Refugee Association provides a range of support services to people from migrant and refugee background. The ARA Drive Program assists new arrivals to gain their drivers licence, with the independence and opportunities this brings.
- Volunteers receive comprehensive training, including in-car training
- Car is fitted with all the safety equipment of a driving instructor vehicle, including a passenger side brake pedal
- Volunteers don’t take the place of a qualified driving instructor, the role is to supervise driving practice and provide guidance and encouragement to the learner driver
- All learner drivers have basic driving skills from completing lessons with a qualified instructor prior to joining the program
Additional volunteer requirements:
- Patience, understanding and respectful of varied cultural attitudes and expectations
- Complete application form, can be downloaded from ARA website
- Attend ARA Volunteer Orientation session
- Attend ARA Drive comprehensive training
- DHS Working With Children Clearance (available free for volunteers)
- National Police Check
- Reference check will be undertaken prior to becoming an active volunteer
Volunteers can benefit from the satisfaction of supporting new arrivals to achieve the life-changing goal of gaining their drivers licence. Volunteers have the opportunity to develop personal skills and confidence, to increase their community engagement, and gain a better understanding of the refugee and community services sector. Regular free training opportunities are provided.
Volunteers must be over 21 years old and have held a full Australian drivers licence for minimum 2 years.
Commitment: 6 months
Time Required: approx 2 - 4 hours per week
For further information, please contact the Volunteer Services Officer:
E: firstname.lastname@example.org PH: 8354 2951
Or download our application form:
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyImpactPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account