Retail Op shop (Thrifty V )
Thrifty V retail is an opportunity style charity thrift shop, selling both new and quality pre-loved items. It also features a small café. Volunteers working in the Thrifty V retail shops assist with the successful operation of the enterprise, which in turn, provides valuable income to enable the Association to provide much needed volunteer services to the Lyell McEwin Hospital and Modbury Hospital, as well as other health and community related sites. There are a wide range of tasks in which volunteers can assist, much the same way as for any small retail business. On the job training will be provided for all tasks and the relevant experience gained from volunteering often leads to meaningful employment in similar fields.
The shop is located on John Rice Avenue (near bus stop 53A), between Commercial Road and the large roundabout at intersection of John Rice Avenue/Phillip Highway. (The shop is part of the old Holden’s office complex of 180 Phillip Highway) Shop parking is available on-site.
- Prepare cash register, place signage out, check store presentation throughout and open store
- Prepare Café - check expiration dates, temperatures, food quality and cleanliness - serve food and beverages
- Welcome, greet and serve customers in a friendly, proactive and helpful manner
- Clean and maintain a tidy store to ensure both excellent presentation and the safety and comfort for customers and volunteers, e.g., dusting, vacuuming and mopping
- Rotate and stock shelves, general merchandising and stocktaking
- Assist with cash handling in line with relevant procedures
- Receive stock daily from operations and sort, price and display goods in line with procedures
- Serve - Operate cash register and EFTPOS (as required)
- Report discrepancies and problems to the Thrifty V Manager.
- Receive in-store donations from the community and place aside for operations to collect
- Lock up and secure store and ensure everyone gets away safely on the day (if closing store)
- Other duties as negotiated with Manager or Team Leader
Weekdays 8.45am - 5.45pm (8.45 am – 1.45 pm/1.45 pm – 5.45pm)
Saturday 8.45am - 5.15pm (8.45 am -1.00 pm/1.00 pm – 5.15 pm)
Sunday 10.45am - 5.15pm (straight shift)
Above full shifts and part thereof variations of the above hours are negotiable and would be arranged on a roster basis.
Centrelink requirements can be met.
- Ability to use initiative and be responsible
- Patient, tolerant, friendly and caring nature
- An ability to be able to meet deadlines
- An ability and willingness to follow directions
- Good communication and people skills
- Punctual, reliable and flexible
- Ability to handle money and make change
National Police Check is required
The next steps towards volunteering:
Please complete the following steps in the order listed to ensure your application is processed
1. Click on the "Fill in an application" on the right hand side of the screen. Please ensure this is completed before going to Step 2.
2. Complete a Lyell McEwin application - Click here