Memory Support Activity Assistants
Helping Hand Aged Care at Lightsview is currently seeking enthusiastic Memory Support Unit Activity Assistants to join their wonderful volunteer team.
Activities are held 1:1 and in small group settings within our Memory Support Unit, with a strong emphasis on supporting individuals engage in fun and meaningful activities.
Monday to Friday 9.30am – 3.30pm (Days/Time negotiable).
NOTE: Other activities/roles may/can be undertaken as a joint function of this position
RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES & PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
• Assist residents to engage in activities that they enjoy including gardening, reading, walks and games
• Ensure resources are ready for each activity
• Carry out duties as required, and be able to work alongside others
• Must be comfortable interacting, motivating, and encouraging residents - great listening and conversation skills, are able to make people feel good about themselves, and have a good sense of humor.
• Must be punctual and reliable, have a friendly, positive attitude towards other team members & must enjoy working with the elderly, frail and cognitive impaired
• Able to maintain privacy and confidentiality
• Must be prepared to undertake mandatory training e.g. wheelchair training (no lift policy),
• Food Handling, Hand Hygiene and COVID-19 Infection Control
• Must have or be willing to apply for a National Police Clearance (no cost)
• Must have proof of influenza vaccination
. Volunteers must be up to date with COVID vaccinations, ie double vaccinated plus booster
• Must wear enclosed and non-permeable footwear and appropriate clothing
• Awareness of the needs of individuals, including cultural, lifestyle & ethnic diversity
• Good clear communication skills, ability to engage in conversation with people who may have cognitive, visual/hearing loss and/or other physical disabilities.
• Empathy, understanding & awareness of the needs of people with disabilities, dementia, and/or ageing issues
Located on the corner of Fosters Road & East Parkway