STEAM Coach Green Thumbs: A Children's Garden Club
The Green Thumbs Steam Coach
The : A Children’s Garden Club is a garden program designed to engage both the physical and mental abilities of children. This is an outdoor activity volunteer position. The program is for kids from 18 months to 8 years of age. Parents and adult caregivers will accompany the program with their children.
Availability: Weekly or Bi-Weekly, Wednesday or Friday, Mornings or Afternoons.
Start Date: August 15, 2022
End Date: August 15, 2023
- Develop Lesson plans and activities for kids to learn about the environment, gardening, and how to care for the earth.
- Provide instruction for young kids, 18 months-8 years of age in The Green Thumbs Garden Club.
- Responsible for setting up the garden before the program and clearing the materials from the garden after the program.
- Work with the Youth Services Librarian to develop appropriate activities.
We would love you to apply!
- Returning volunteers welcome!
- Must have green thumbs.
- Knowledgeable about gardening
- Be comfortable leading programs for young kids.
- Basic computer and internet skills.
- Enthusiastic and friendly
- Ability to communicate with a diverse population.
- Knowledgeable of child development
Requirements after being selected as a volunteer:
- 21+ years old.
- Mandatory orientation and training.
- Reference Checks.
- Sexual Harassment prevention training (for those completing more than 100 hours of volunteering in a calendar year).
- Participation Agreement.
- Fingerprint and background checks (no cost to applicant).
- In person volunteers are required to follow Vaccination Policy. Supervisors will provide updated information.
*Submitting an application is not a guarantee of placement.
Mira Mesa Branch Library
8405 New Salem Street
San Diego, CA 92126
· Volunteer candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date in accordance with City policy. “Fully vaccinated” means a person has received, at least 14 days prior, either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. Acceptable COVID-19 vaccines must either be approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or authorized for emergency use by the FDA or the World Health Organization.
· Volunteer candidates who are selected for a volunteer opportunity will be required to provide proof of their full COVID-19 vaccination.
· Volunteers with a disability or medical condition that makes it medically inadvisable for them to receive a COVID-19 vaccine, as verified by their healthcare provider, or those with a sincerely held religious belief, observance, or practice that prevents them from receiving a COVID-19 vaccine, may request reasonable accommodation and exemption from the COVID-19 vaccination requirement. Candidates who receive a conditional job offer and wish to make a request for accommodation will be provided with more information. The City will review requests for medical or religious accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act. A candidate’s start date may be adjusted to allow for the accommodation process.