Immigrant Family Support Volunteer
Are you someone who’s caring, has great listening skills and feels called to welcome and help immigrants and refugees? Then this is an excellent opportunity for you! As an Immigrant Family Support Volunteer, you will compassionately listen to immigrants and assist them in completing and processing their Inadmissibility Grounds Waivers.
We welcome volunteers who can commit for at least a year and make their schedules according to their availability. We strongly believe refugees and immigrants are our brothers and sisters and deserve our support.
Immigration Legal Services (ILS) focuses on the provision of direct legal immigration services to foreign‐born individuals and their families. ILS has represented individuals from all around the world needing legal assistance with an immigration matter. No prior legal experience is needed for this role.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Volunteer duties and responsibilities vary to suit the volunteers' capabilities and to meet a variety of needs in the program, may include:
- Assist individuals and families who are clients of ILS to assemble information and materials for Inadmissibility Grounds Waivers applications for staff review
- Actively and compassionately listen to
- Provide spiritual support to clients completing the application process
- Communicate with and accept guidance from ILS
- Follow a standard process for completing
Desired Skills, Experience & Characteristics:
- Comfortable working with individuals who have experienced
- Fully embrace Catholic Charities Culture of Caring
- Warm, friendly, and compassionate
- Great note taker
- Ability to understand the perspective of who you are writing for and who the reader will
- Strong team player with the ability to work cooperatively with others
- Detail oriented
- Linguistically skilled
- Very strong writing and listening
- No legal experience
- Volunteers must be 18 years or
- Spanish speaker
- Must have computer and word processing
- Ability to use video conferencing tools (Zoom, Skype, WhatsApp, Facetime, etc.)
- An opportunity to improve the lives of deserving immigrants
- Gain knowledge of immigration issues
- Involvement in a network of professionals committed to serving those in need
- Spanish interpreter support if
- On-site supervision and support
- 4-8 hours a week
- 1-year minimum commitment
Location: Remote for 2021
- Due March 31: Fill out an
- March 22 – April 8: Matching Expectations conversation with Catholic Charities staff
- April 16 – May 1: Attend virtual Volunteer Orientation and complete
- Early May: Begin volunteering!
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyImpactPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account