Conversation Café - Oral History Volunteers
Oral History Volunteers
Record and preserve the stories of those who lived and experienced Historic RAF Hendon, and the changing Colindale area through group conversations.
For the RAF Centenary in 2018, we want to raise awareness of the important RAF heritage of the Colindale area, by capturing and sharing the stories from those who remember the site in use as an airfield through to the modern day, with all the developments, changes and diversification that has taken place.
Conversation Cafes involve recording a small group of invited people discussing and sharing their memories together. The recordings you make will form part of our Historic Hendon collection, and be available for others in the future.
This is a great role for someone who would like a social volunteering opportunity
- talk to local people about the history of the area
- build a relationship with your interviewees
- facilitate the groups conversation
- talk to local people in a friendly way and represent the RAF museum in a positive way
- transcribing the audio conversation
- complete at least one ‘conversation café’ group interview
You will receive:
- an induction to the Film & Sound department and RAF Museum as a whole.
- a certified training course with the Oral History Society, training you to accredited standard, able to record high quality audio and conduct interviews
- opportunities for continuing to volunteer and collect oral histories throughout the 2B project
- back-end management and support from the Heritage Outreach Officer and Curator of Film & Sound
You will be:
- approachable, friendly and enthusiastic
- confident and able to take responsibility
- proactive in approaching and welcoming people
- able to build rapport with people
- able to follow instructions carefully
- confident in your own ability and knowledge
- comfortable talking and listening
- respectful, understanding and accepting of others
- living or working in Colindale, or able to travel easily to the RAF Museum
- happy to travel to other locations
Recruitment/Training Selection event:
We will be hosting a training/recruitment selection event on Friday 23rd February 11am-12.30pm
Attendance to training/recruitment selection event is required to be considered for this volunteering role.
You can confirm your attendance immediately after applying for this role. Please see below for more information.
Training will take place at the Museum at 10am – 4pm on Thursday 1 March 2018 and will cover:
- Oral History Society accredited course
- How to use the recording equipment
- Relationship building
- Interview techniques
- Health and safety
- Disability awareness
Please indicate that you are available to attend training during these dates.
3 days (including two training days and one day of interviews), with additional opportunities for one-to-one interviews afterwards.
There is also another oral history project ongoing at the Museum until October 2018, with one-to-one interviews. If you want to continue to do more interviews there is flexibility on the days and times you volunteer.
Hours will vary in and will be agreed in advance.
One volunteering shift will equate to approximately 4 hours.
Travel and food expenses will be reimbursed up to £10 per day, in line with our policy, there is no additional expenses available for long distance travel.
If you travel cost to attend an interview is more than this level, please discuss in advance.
How to get involved:
Click the yellow 'Fill in an Application' button on the top right-hand side of this page.
Wednesday 21st February
To book your place on the Recruitment/Selection day, please log into myvolunteerpage.com, with the login details you have created to apply and sign up and confirm your attendance on the 'Opportunities' tab.
We aim to select the right people for the role and therefore may not be able to offer this opportunity to everyone who applies.
More Information on Oral History:
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyVolunteerPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account