Animal Care Assistant | Cairns
What to expect
This rewarding volunteer role would suit applicants that love animals and are committed to improving their welfare; people who wish to experience hands-on work with animals and want to learn about the care and health requirements for future work in the industry; and anyone looking for a worthwhile way to spend their time. It can be physically demanding and sometimes smelly, and you’ll be outside in winter and summer weather. You might feel emotional about the animals you’re working with and may find this difficult, but ultimately the reward is that you’re making a huge, positive difference to their lives – and yours!
What are the benefits?
- Positively impacting the lives of many animals in care
- Animal handling experience with domestic animals including dogs, cats, puppies, kittens and also livestock (large and small), pocket pets and domestic birds
- Hands on training from our shelter team
- Opportunity to gain new skills and learn about the animal care industry
- Becoming part of a friendly and passionate new community
What are the tasks?
The Animal Care Assistant role can be a very physical, hands-on volunteering role and every single task, no matter how big or small, makes a big difference to the animals in care.
The tasks involved in this role include:
- The daily cleaning of the animals' pens which involves removing dirty bedding, hosing or wiping out enclosures, sweeping and scooping up of poop, cleaning litter trays, and providing clean bedding and toys
- Hygiene control – ensuring appropriate sanitisation and hand-washing, and avoiding cross contamination – and ensuring that the animals remain stocked up with food, water, bedding and toys.
- Assisting with socialising, enrichment and exercise of animals in care - you will be trained by shelter staff before you can work independently with animals.
- Taking bins full of soiled linen/towels/bedding to the laundry and collecting clean bedding/towels etc to take back to your area.
- Assisting with general laundry duties as part of each shift, including loading dirty laundry into the machines, loading and/or taking clean washing out of the dryers, and folding all clean items.
- Assistance with ensuring the Animal Care Campus environment is presentable, and general tidying up.
- Following RSPCA philosophy of positive reinforcement with all animal interactions.
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Confidence in working with domestic animals and/or willingness to learn more about how to work with animals in a shelter situation
- Able to cope with increased noise levels and have the ability to hear if an animals is in distress or giving warning signs of fear
- Be able to fulfil all of the above tasks independently
- Be physically fit (able to lift 10kg) and able to stand for long periods. This role can be very fast-paced, due to this our volunteers need to able to manage their own time effectively
- A high level of manual dexterity with the ability to multitask
- Attention to detail and able to accurately follow instructions
- Enjoy working in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Hard working and committed to the RSPCA
To help potential volunteers to fully understand the role requirements, we have created the Essential Capabilities of an Animal Care Volunteer document. Please read this before you apply to ensure you understand what we look for when reviewing applications.
When can I volunteer?
- Monday to Sunday. Morning (8:30am-12:30pm), afternoon (1pm - 5pm) or all day shifts are available.
We are seeking reliable volunteers who will be able to commit to a minimum of 1 x four hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months to ensure consistency and continuity with the animals. The time and resources required for recruiting and training are not suited to short term involvement. Orientation and training in relation to animal interaction, training and husbandry will be provided.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $25. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact our Cairns Volunteer Program Support Team on 07 4055 1487 or email@example.com, or click "Fill in an application" above.