Retail Assistant | World for Pets Springwood
What to expect
You will be working in our Springwood World for Pets store as part of a close-knit team assisting in the rehoming of a variety of RSPCA animals as well as retail tasks making it a very rewarding volunteer position.
Over the past year, 30,135 animals were re-united and re-homed by members of the community who have opened their hearts and homes to our amazing animals. Initially, in this role you will welcome customers to the store, providing support and advice to those who wish to adopt. Your role will also include assisting customers with purchases, sorting, replenishing, pricing and rotating stock displays, inventory and processing payments.
If you are passionate about Animal welfare and would love to be part of raising much needed funds for RSPCA Queensland as well as helping animals find their ‘furever’ home this is the role for you!
What are the benefits?
- Becoming part of a friendly new community who strive to make a positive difference
- Opportunity to gain new skills or further develop existing customer service skills
- The personal satisfaction of helping animals to find their ‘furever’ homes
- Experience with data entry and administration tasks
- Gain experience with point of sale (POS) and EFTPOS systems, cash handling, general retail within a pet store and merchandising stock
- Time to play and interact with the Cats and Kittens in your care
What are the tasks?
The position includes:
- Meeting and greeting customers in a cheery, friendly, professional manner and directing them accordingly, providing additional support for customers wishing to adopt
- Undertaking the responsible care and management of animals in the store, including providing enrichment opportunities, cleaning enclosures and ensuring access to fresh water and food
- Answering general enquires from customers both in store and over the telephone and providing guidance and advice relating to their pets and their purchases
- Replenishing and rotating stock and display shelves, ensuring the store is always organised and presentable
- Marking off, sorting and pricing incoming stock
- Serving customers using a point of sale (POS) system and taking cash/EFTPOS payments for products
- Creating a comfortable dialogue in which customers are willing to confide and openly discuss their situation and their reasons for adopting
- Assessing the suitability of applicants and their levels of awareness about the adoptions process and the responsibilities of animal ownership
- Educating customers in the responsibilities of animal ownership and the adoption process as required
- Reading and interpreting the animal behaviour assessment data and applying it to the specific customers’ situation who are wishing to adopt the animal
- Managing interactions between customers and animals, with attention to the safety of all parties
- Assisting with adoption paperwork, data entry and general cleaning duties as directed
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Confidence in working with animals and dealing with the general public
- Advanced interpersonal communication skills
- Able to handle cash and the ability to learn how to use the cash register as well as Confidence in using computers
- Empathy, patience and the ability to listen carefully
- Outstanding customer service skills, driven by empathy and understanding
- Be physically fit (able to lift 10kg) and able to stand for long periods
- Attention to detail and able to accurately follow instructions
- Able to work and make decisions independently
- Warehouse/ Inventory knowledge or experience preferred but not essential
When can I volunteer?
- Current Availabilities: Wednesday - Friday 9am – 1pm, Sunday 9am - 1pm
- We request a minimum commitment of 1 x four hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months to ensure consistency and continuity with the animals. Orientation and animal training will be provided.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact our Brisbane Volunteer Coordinator on 3426 9915 or email@example.com, or fill in an application above.