Creative Team Volunteer | Bundaberg
What to expect
Do you have creative flair and skills in photography, videography, writing, or social media? Would you like to use your creative talents to help our animals be adopted? This rewarding volunteer role is an opportunity for someone who likes working collaboratively in a close-knit team and is looking for an opportunity to learn and develop their creative skills. You will have the opportunity to interact with a variety of animals in this role.
What are the benefits?
- Opportunity to gain new skills or further experience in working with animals
- The satisfaction of knowing your skills have helped an animal advertised for adoption to find a new home
- Becoming part of a friendly new community
What are the tasks?
There are a multitude of things we can do to help promote our animals who are available for adoption. Creative Design volunteers combine their various talents to produce high-quality, professional profiles of animals in the shelter to increase their chances of being adopted. Tasks include:
- Photographing/videoing of these animals available for adoption
- Collecting the animals to be photographed from their area on campus, and returning them when finished.
- Spending time with animals awaiting adoption to understand their personalities, any special needs and what special characteristics they display
- Setting up the environment for photographs or video using props etc as appropriate
- Preparing the animal as required eg dressing in bandanna, t-shirt, tie etc
- Encouraging the animals using basic training and positive reinforcement to capture them in an attractive pose
- Editing photographs, creative copy and/or video footage to upload onto RSPCA computers for display on the adopt-a-pet website
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- High levels of patience and a willingness to learn
- Some animal handling experience an advantage
- Enjoy working in a team environment
- Self-directed with good time management skills
- Empathy for animals
- Understanding of the physical responsibilities of and reasons for pet ownership
- Some knowledge of dog and cat breeds an advantage
Photographer & Videographer skills and characteristics
- Good photography/video skills
- Your own photography equipment (smart phones are sufficient!)
- Proficient at editing and uploading photos
Creative Writer skills and characteristics
- Demonstrated clear and creative writing skills
- Ability to recognise ‘a good story’
- Able to see that ‘something special’ in an animal that might win someone’s heart
- Creating web content to a defined standard and within required deadlines that is not repetitive and which truly describes the key and compelling traits of the animal available for adoption
- Ability to upload and schedule different types of posts to Facebook
When can I volunteer?
- Monday to Friday 2pm-5pm, or Saturday/Sunday 11am – 2pm
- We request a minimum commitment of 1 x 2 or 3 hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months. Orientation and animal training will be required.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator on 3426 9903 or email@example.com, or click "Fill in an application" above.