Customer Experience Adoptions Assistant | Wacol
What to expect
This position is pivotal to our Customer Experience Team at the Animal Care Campus at Wacol. The role is based in the adoption center office where you will be contacting members of the public who have submitted an application to adopt a new companion. You will be advising them that they have been chosen as the most suitable candidate to adopt. The role also entails you to provide them with further on the animal that may include but not limited to, medical history, behavior recommendations, general husbandry needs, and or enrichment/feeding requirements.
On occasion you will also assist staff in the main public area of the campus where you will handle all enquiries from visitors, including those relating to surrenders and strays, lost and found, directing people to find staff members, puppy and dog training, general enquiries as well as adoption enquiries. This role will suit people who have exceptional “people skills” and an affinity for animals. They will be confident and proactive in meeting people, but will also be sensitive to their particular situation. They will have the ability to think on their feet, be proactive and learn new skills on the job.
What are the tasks?
- Contacting members of the public that have submitted an application to adopt a new companion. Advising them that they have been selected as the most suitable candidate to adopt.
- Reading and interpreting the animal behaviour assessment data and applying it to the specific customers’ situation who are wishing to surrender or adopt the animal
- Providing enrichment to adoption animals by playing and spending time with them and providing opportunities to interact with other animals and people where appropriate
- Assessing applicants levels of awareness about the adoptions process and the responsibilities of animal ownership
- Assisting with adoption paperwork and data entry
- Meeting and greeting customers and directing them accordingly, providing additional support for customers wishing to adopt
- Addressing general enquiries from visitors to the campus, including those relating to surrenders/strays, puppy and dog training as well as adoption enquiries
- Managing interactions between customers and animals, with attention to the safety of all parties
- Reception and administrative tasks as required
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Confidence in working with all types of animals and dealing with the general public
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to think on your feet and learn on the job
- The ability to learn on the job and be proactive with their learning
- Advanced interpersonal communication skills
- Empathy, patience and the ability to listen carefully
- Outstanding customer service skills, driven by empathy and understanding
- Be physically fit (able to lift 10kg) and able to stand for long periods
- Attention to detail and able to accurately follow instructions
- Able to take initiative, and make decisions independently
When can I volunteer?
The available shifts are based on the current needs of the Customer Experience Centre. Vacancies exist as follows:
- Monday: 1pm to 5pm, or 8am to 5pm
- Tuesday: 8am to 1pm, 1pm to 5pm or 8am to 5pm
- Thursday: 8am to 1pm
- Friday: 1pm to 5pm, or 8am to 5pm
- Sunday: 1pm to 5pm, or 8am to 5pm
We request a minimum commitment of 1 x four hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months to ensure consistency and continuity with the animals. The shift day and shift time will be the same each week.
Customer Service Support volunteers must be able to attend orientation and role specific training that could occur during the week.
Where can I volunteer?
- This role is based at our Wacol Animal Care Campus in Brisbane. Applicants must be over the ages of 18 years old.
- PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30.
- For further information, please contact our Customer Experience Volunteer Coordinator on 07 3426 9999 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or ‘fill in an application’ above.