Animal Care Assistant | Toowoomba
What to expect
This rewarding volunteer role would suit applicants that love animals and are committed to improving their welfare; people who wish to experience hands-on work with animals and want to learn about the care and health requirements for future work in the industry; and anyone looking for a worthwhile way to spend their time. It can be physically demanding and sometimes smelly, and you’ll be outside in winter and summer weather. You might feel emotional about the animals you’re working with and may find this difficult, but ultimately the reward is that you’re making a huge, positive difference to their lives – and yours!
What are the benefits?
- Lots of contact with a variety of domestic animals including dogs, cats, puppies and kittens
- Great opportunity to learn about the care and health requirements of domestic animals
- Time to play and interact with the animals in your care
- Opportunity to gain new skills and learn about the animal care industry
- Becoming part of a friendly new community
What are the tasks?
The position is hands-on and includes:
- The daily cleaning of the animals' pens which involves removing dirty bedding, hosing or wiping out enclosures, sweeping and scooping up of poop, cleaning litter trays, and providing clean bedding and toys
- Hygiene control – ensuring appropriate sanitisation and hand-washing, and avoiding cross contamination – and ensuring that the animals remain stocked up with food, water, bedding and toys.
- Assistance with ensuring the Animal Care Campus environment is presentable, and general tidying up.
- Providing enrichment to the animals under your care by walking them around the campus
- Playing and spending time with all animals and providing them opportunities to interact with other animals, toys and people where appropriate.
- Taking bins full of soiled linen/towels/bedding to the laundry and collecting clean bedding/towels etc to take back to your area.
- Undertake general laundry duties as part of each shift, including loading dirty laundry into the machines, loading and/or taking clean washing out of the dryers, and folding all clean items.
- Following RSPCA philosophy of positive reinforcement with all animal interactions.
What skills and characteristics do I need?
- Confidence in working with domestic animals and/or willingness to learn more about how to work with animals in a shelter situation
- Able to cope with increased noise levels
- Be able to work independently
- Be physically fit (able to lift 10kg) and able to stand for long periods
- Attention to detail and able to accurately follow instructions
- Enjoy working in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Hard working and committed to the RSPCA
When can I volunteer?
- Monday to Sunday, 7.30am - 11:30am or 12:00pm - 4:30pm
- We request a minimum commitment of 1 x four hour shift per week for a minimum of 3 months to ensure consistency and continuity with the animals. Orientation and training in relation to animal interaction, training and husbandry will be provided.
PLEASE NOTE: As part of volunteering with us you will be required to purchase an RSPCA Volunteer T-shirt for $30. It is also a requirement that before handling animals at the RSPCA you have an up to date Tetanus vaccination.
For further information, please contact our Toowoomba Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org, or click "Fill in an application" above.