Organic Demonstration Garden volunteer
Volunteer Role Description
Location: Ryton Gardens, Wolston Lane, Ryton on Dunsmore, Coventry, CV8 3LG
Reports to: Gardening Team
About Garden Organic
Garden Organic is the UK’s leading organic growing charity and is dedicated to researching and promoting organic gardening, farming and food. Our purpose is to get as many people as possible to grow organically.
What do our volunteer gardeners contribute?
Working as part of a team, our volunteer gardeners contribute to the maintenance and development of our flagship organic gardens at Ryton, which serve to inspire and educate visitors. They also provide a friendly face for visitors to the garden, answering any questions they may have.
Why volunteer for Garden Organic?
Ryton Gardens lies at the heart of our work to promote organic gardening, offering volunteers the chance to make a real contribution in a beautiful and unique setting. In tending these gardens you will develop your own knowledge and skills whilst helping to spread the organic message to visitors. Simply enjoy the company of a friendly group of like-minded gardeners, or use your time with us as a stepping stone into work or college.
What’s in it for you?
- Becoming part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Meeting people from all walks of life
- Getting your hands dirty and enjoying the great outdoors
- Developing your own organic gardening knowledge and skills
Tasks can be variable depending on the season, needs of the garden and weather and can include:
- Helping with the general up keep of the gardens including:
- Seed sowing, propagation, nursery work, planting out
- Weeding, deadheading and general care of beds and borders
- Pruning and care of shrubs and trees
- Grass cutting and edging
- Maintaining good Health and Safety practices
- Helping to maintain clear signs and labels around the gardens to educate and inform visitors
- Answering questions from visitors
- Giving the gardening team any other assistance that may be needed
What days can I volunteer?
Volunteer days at the Organic Demonstration Garden are Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays between 9am and 4pm only (to ensure we have staff to supervise). Some volunteers can spare us a couple of hours a week, some a half day and others a whole day ... whatever works for you.
This role will suit people who:
- Have some experience and knowledge of organic gardening and a desire to learn more.
- Have good communication and listening skills
- Have a cheerful demeanor and enjoy working as part of a team
- Are reasonably fit and willing to work out of doors in all weathers
- Have a positive, organised and flexible approach to work
- Are looking for experience with a view to pursuing a career in horticulture
- Are happy to work unsupervised from time to time
What do we offer our volunteers?
- Full induction to Garden Organic
- Appropriate support and supervision
- Relevant on the job training
- Task appropriate personal protective equipment
- Reasonable travel expenses
- Membership of Garden Organic*
Volunteers are asked to wear sturdy boots and bring weather appropriate clothing. We also recommend you bring a water bottle and sun cream.
*Subject to contributing an agreed number of hours per year.