Community Speaker - Greater Sydney Volunteer
RSPCA NSW – Community Speaker Volunteer
This volunteering role is in the Sydney region, but managed from our Sydney (Yagoona) Shelter.
A drivers’ licence and your own transport (specifically a car) is required due to travel required to attend speaking locations.
All approved applicants must under-go a National Criminal History Check (no cost to volunteers).
All volunteers wishing to speak to audiences under 18 years old must hold a Volunteer Working with Children’s Check (obtained by the Office of the Children’s Guardian).
We’re looking for volunteers to help on an ad-hoc basis at specific events RSPCA NSW has been asked to present at.
If you are only available on certain days, you can indicate this within your application. However this role is mostly required on weekdays and weeknights.
For this role, RSPCA NSW requests that volunteers commit to at least 4 event commitments in a calendar year to ensure information and skills are kept up to date.
This role involves both online and in-person training.
About the role
RSPCA NSW is often asked to present and speak to local community groups, organisations, businesses or events and we are seeking a team of dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers to speak to these groups on behalf of our organisation.
As a Community Speaker Volunteer, you will be representing RSPCA NSW and providing tailored information about our programs and services to attendees, answering questions that members of the audience may have and ensuring the about our programs and initiatives are accurate, informative and engaging. Presentation materials will be collated and coordinated by our Community team.
This is a rewarding experience for any volunteer looking at improving their public speaking, or if you would like to contribute to RSPCA NSW in a new and exciting way!
If you are more comfortable interacting with children or adults, please let us know in the application
What this volunteer role looks like
• Travelling to events or locations within the Greater Sydney region that RSPCA NSW have been requested to speak at and present an informative and tailored presentation to the audience
• Answering questions from attendees about our programs and initiatives
• Providing feedback to the Community team about audiences, the delivery of information and how our program can be improved in the future
What you’ll get out of volunteering with us
• Training about our programs from the Community team, via online and in-person events
• Experience speaking to audiences, ranging from 10 to 50 people
• Becoming a face of RSPCA NSW in your local community
What we need from you
• At least 18 years old
• Undergo a National Criminal History Check (no cost to the volunteer)
• Obtain a current Working with Children Check (no cost to volunteers) – only required for volunteers choosing to speak to under 18 audiences
• Have access to a car and hold an NSW driver’s licence
• Previous experience delivering presentations to small audiences (not required but appreciated)
• Previous experience interacting or working with school children or community groups
If you live outside of the Greater Sydney region but are interested in getting involved with the Community Speaker program in your local community, please reach out to our volunteering team via firstname.lastname@example.org