Hunter Shelter - Gardening & Maintenance
RSPCA NSW Hunter (Rutherford) Shelter – Gardening & Maintenance Volunteer
Monday - Friday, 10am - 2pm.
RSPCA NSW prefers volunteers to commit to 1-2 shifts per month.
About the role
RSPCA NSW are looking for help with maintaining our shelter facility and enclosures, including mowing, gardening (including weeding and looking after our vegetable and herb garden), cleaning the facility and providing general repairs to animal enclosures and public spaces.
In this role, you'll be using your handy-man skills to beautify our Rutherford shelter, making sure both animals and people who visit have a clean and safe environment.
Training will be provided by our facilities team, including how to use a ride-on lawnmower and best practice around our animal residents.
Please note, this role DOES NOT involve animal contact.
Volunteering in this role looks like
In this role, you will be tackling tasks nominated by our shelter supervisors, including:
- General gardening duties, such as sweeping, mowing and weeding our horse paddocks and grassed areas
- Clearing drainpipes
- Providing care and attention to our veggie garden and harvesting suitable plants for our pocket pets
- Cleaning walls, windows, doors and shelves using brooms or pressure hoses
- Assisting with general repairs and painting
- Helping to maintain a clean shelter and keep equipment in good working order
- Comply with all Work Health and Safety (WHS) guidelines
- Understand and comply with RSPCA NSW policies and procedures
Previous handy-person experience would be preferred, or liking to get hands-on with fixing items
Able to lift items above 20kg
At least 18 years old