Port Macquarie Shelter - Cattery Assistant
RSPCA NSW Port Macquarie Shelter – Cattery Assistant
We’re looking for volunteers who can help out in either the mornings (9:00am – 12:00pm) or afternoons (12:00pm to 3:00pm), Monday to Sunday.
If you are only available on certain days, you can mark this in your application.
RSPCA NSW prefers volunteers that can commit to volunteering at least once per fortnight.
About the role
Calling all cat people! The residents of our catteries and kitteries are looking for a volunteer to clean their enclosures, give them food and provide them with plenty of cuddles and enrichment.
You’ll basically be there to serve their every whim—as it usually goes with cats.
All jokes aside, this is a highly rewarding and important volunteer role. Our Cattery Volunteers give love, enrichment and care to the wonderful felines waiting for their well-deserved forever home.
What this volunteer role looks like
- Assist staff with general cleaning of the cattery, including cleaning enclosures, sweeping and mopping
- Assist with feeds and feeding
- Observe animals for signs of illness and document observations, including behaviour changes
- Change bedding, top up water bowls, wash bowls, wash litter trays and pooper scoop
- Assist with grooming and brushing
- Undertake tasks to provide environmental enrichment for cats and kittens, including providing toys, interactive activities, and and help make their shelter stay as interesting as possible
- Comply with all Work Health and Safety (WHS) guidelines
- Understand and comply with RSPCA NSW policies and procedures
What you’ll get out of volunteering with us
- Training from our Shelter Team
- Animal handling experience
- Inclusion in a friendly and vibrant team
- Rewarding work directly with animals
- Networking with internal stakeholders
- Ongoing support for other opportunities in the organisation, if possible
What we need from you
- Handling experience of cats and kittens (essential)
- Physical ability to lift up to 10 kilograms
- Ability to follow direction, to work within a team and work individually
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to get a little dirty
- Well organised, reliable and able to prioritise
- Passion for interacting with people and animals
- Positive attitude