Volunteer Visitor- Community Hospital - Farnham or Milford
Job Title: Volunteer Visitor / Community Hospital - Farnham or Milford
Working hours: To be agreed with the Project Lead Health Improvement Services (Anticipated duty to be one visit per week of around 2 hours duration – either morning or afternoon dependent on ward routine)
Reporting to: Project Lead, Health Improvement Services
Location: Community Hospitals at one of the following: Farnham or Milford
- Making regular visits to older people staying in community hospital (many of whom have memory problems or dementia).
- To support older people in hospital by undertaking conversations, reminiscences, craft work, crosswords, reading, discussion and other activities either on a 1:1 basis and / or small groups where appropriate, dependent on number of older people within the ward on any occasion.
- Undertaking wellbeing assessments with the older person through the use of a wellbeing questionnaire to ascertain sense of individual wellbeing and mood.
- Keeping accurate records.
- Supporting and motivating older people to think through the process of returning home from hospital and to signpost and support the older person to other services such as Age UK’s Advice and Information service as appropriate in readiness for their return home.
- Good communication skills
- Reliability and commitment
- Understanding of and empathy with the needs of older people and those with dementia
- Patience and sensitivity
- Willingness to participate in training
- Sense of humor
- The ability to value and respect others’ opinions and beliefs
- Ability to work to Age UK and Virgin Community Hospital guidelines and policies on Health and Safety, confidentiality etc.
- Car owner/ driver
- Ability to motivate people
Expenses: Age UK Surrey will repay any agreed expenses such as travel costs and telephone.
For further information please click on the Fill in an Application button.