Healthwatch Volunteer - posted 20.07.2023
Who we are
Healthwatch Surrey is an independent organisation that listens to what local people have to say about health and social care. The Healthwatch Surrey contract is delivered by Luminus Insight CIC, which holds a number of voice contracts in Surrey.
We listen to people’s views and concerns and share with decision makers, to influence and improve how local services are run.
We keep an eye on changes to services and make sure that local people are consulted in decision making and in the design of local health and social care services.
What will I do as a volunteer?
· Our volunteers attend community events and fairs to talk to local people about the work of Healthwatch Surrey.
· They also meet local people through engagements arranged by Healthwatch Surrey. They listen to what local people have to say about health and care services, and accurately record their views, both good and bad. They signpost people to other organisations that can help them where necessary.
· Volunteers help us to identify local community groups such as carers groups, veterans’ groups and faith groups who are meeting in Surrey. They inform our Volunteer and Engagement Officer about these, who will contact the group and arrange a suitable time for us to attend and listen to people’s experiences.
How does this make a difference?
Healthwatch Surrey work closely with the Care Quality Commission, Surrey County Council, and those planning and delivering NHS services in Surrey to provide feedback from patients, escalate concerns and work to improve services based on the feedback our volunteers have listened to. We particularly want to hear from communities especially at risk of health inequalities to ensure everyone has a say in the care they receive.
This role will suit someone who:
· Is interested in health and social care
· Enjoys talking to people
· Is a good listener
· Has a caring attitude
· Is confident and outgoing
· Can accurately record information
· Enjoys working as part of a team
· Is organised and reliable
We would especially like to hear from you if you are already linked up with voluntary, community and/or faith groups in Surrey.
Where will I be volunteering?
Our volunteers go to a range of places throughout including hospitals, care homes, GP surgeries and other community settings in their local area to hear their views. You are able to stay local to your home, or if you don’t mind travelling then you can attend engagements in other areas of Surrey as well.
Will my expenses be paid?
We reimburse volunteers for travel expenses.
What time commitment will I be expected to make?
Volunteering with us is flexible and it is your choice how often you come out with us on engagement. Our volunteers typically give 2 to 3 mornings or afternoons a month, however you can give more or less of your time if you wish.
Some community groups may meet evenings and weekends and you can go to these if they fit in better with other commitments.
What training will I need?
Training in safeguarding, equality and diversity, engagement and signposting will be provided for this role. The training is online and can be taken at a convenient time for you. You will also be supported by a member of our team at each engagement, as well as receiving ongoing support from our Volunteer and Engagement Officer.
Additional training and support may be offered depending on what type of engagement events you volunteer for.
You may be required to undergo a standard DBS check to complete your volunteer role.
What are the next steps? Apply for this role by filling in the Application form.
Healthwatch Surrey is an independent champion that gives the people of Surrey a voice to improve, shape and get the best from health and social care services by empowering local people and communities.
I would like to volunteer
Already use MyImpactPage.com to volunteer with this organization?
Log in to your account