Godalming Children's Social Club Volunteers - posted 09.05.2019
We are the leading UK charity for autistic people (including those with Asperger syndrome) and their families.
The club provides social support during school term for children and young people on the autistic spectrum (aged 5-11 years old).
We need volunteers to come along and help during club sessions
What you will be doing
- Help set up the session
- Support young people in play, life skills, life skills, social and communication activities
- Participate with young people as their ‘buddies’ where young people can have someone to chat to and try activities
- Develop and maintaining positive relationships with young people their parents / carers and other professionals involved
Skills qualities and experience needed
- Sense of fun and humour
- Empathy with the young people who attend the club
- A calm approach and a patient attitude – autistic young people may have difficulty communicating, socialising and thinking of others’ needs.
- Ability to volunteer as part of a team
- A knowledge of autism would be ideal, but we offer autism-specific training
When and where
- Thursday 6-8pm during school terms, plus 15 minutes prep and closing time
- NAS Old Mill, 14 High Street, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1ED
- All our venues are as close to a train station as possible
- Full induction will be provided with autism-specific training.
- A dedicated supervision from the Lead Project Worker
- Travel expenses reimbursed and refreshments provided throughout the session.
- Free DBS and uniform (T-shirt)
What you could get out of it
- Experience volunteering with young people on the autistic spectrum
- Autism specific training
- Experience of being part of the NAS team
- Travel expenses paid
- Professional supervision
We seek applications from anyone interested in the role, but particularly welcome applications from those with a diagnosis of autism or Asperger syndrome.
To apply or to seek further information please fill in the Application form and we will be in contact shortly.