Membership Officer - Guildford Environmental Forum
Salary: Voluntary (expenses paid)
Hours: approx. 2-3 hours per week
Guildford Environment Forum are a Surrey based charity with a 27 year long history. We work to make Guildford (and the world beyond) a more sustainable place by educating, informing, cutting energy use, reducing ecological footprints, helping wildlife and tackling climate change. We work on local government climate Change committees, and run various hands-on projects that generate action on the environment within our local community. To find out more about our work to date, please visit www.gefweb.org.uk.
We are looking for a motivated volunteer, passionate about our natural environment, to contribute towards raising the profile of GEF’s work with the aim of growing our membership (280 currently), recruiting volunteers and making the most of our successes, especially our current projects.
Ideally, the candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
- Experience working in the field of communications and marketing
- Experience of updating and managing webpages
- Strong understanding of social media platforms and management tools (e.g. Hootsuite); and of email marketing tools (e.g. MailChimp)
- Good verbal communication skills with the ability to build positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Good copywriting and editorial skills
- Competence with digital graphic design programmes such as Photoshop, InDesign or similar
As the post is voluntary the specific responsibilities within the role will be negotiable, but would ideally include:
- Managing social media accounts, posting up-to-date information on our activities to promote events and membership
- Attending quarterly meetings of the GEF executive committee (optional)
- Prepare all external communications including press releases, leaflets, events promotion so as to make GEF better known locally (reporting to the GEF Chair).
- Identifying and pursuing new opportunities to advertise our activities through local publications, radio, partners or events
- Work alongside existing volunteers to maintain the GEF website and help with producing a quarterly newsletter, which is read by over 1,000 in the area.
The minimum time commitment we are looking for would be 2-3 hours per week. Specifics of the role will be negotiable, dependent on the applications received. All expenses will be covered and a modest budget will be available for worthwhile marketing and communication endeavours, subject to executive committee approval.
If you are interested and able to volunteer for GEF in the above capacity then please do get in touch with Adrian Thompson (email@example.com).