Catering Assistants, Christopher's, Guildford
Shooting Star Chase is your local children's hospice service looking after families with a child or teenager not expected to live beyond their 19th birthday.
We urgently need catering assistants at our hospice Christopher's, just outside Guildford, to assist the head cook on weekdays and weekends from 1000 to 1400 and 1630 to 1830 with supporting the cook in the cooking and the preparation of meals for the staff, children and families.
Key duties and responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the cook in the cooking of meals
- Supporting the cook in preparation of ingredients for recipes selected from the menu.
- Assisting in clearing up of preparation area including waste removal.
- Setting up and clearing the dining area.
- Tidying up, cleaning and replenishment of stock in the refreshment area
- A keen interest in cooking
- A good understanding of kitchen and hygiene processes and requirements
- Ability to work as part of a team in a busy hospice environment
- Energy and enthusiasm and a friendly and approachable manner
- To be at least 18 yrs old.
Suggested hours: Lunch: 1000 to 1400 Dinner: 1630 to 1830
Volunteers usually do one or two shifts per week.
This role is subject to a DBS clearance. An induction and training will be given.
Please click on the application form & complete if you wish to volunteer or would like further details.
Shooting Star Children's Hospices is a leading children’s hospice charity caring for babies, children and young people with life-limiting conditions, and their families.
Whether lives are measured in days, weeks, months or years, we are here to make every moment count. We support families from diagnosis to end of life and throughout bereavement with a range of nursing, practical, emotional and medical care.
Our bespoke support is free of charge to families and available 365 days a year. Our care service includes emergency respite care, symptom management and end-of-life care at Christopher's hospice in Guildford and a comprehensive range of therapies and support groups for the whole family at Shooting Star House in Hampton,
It costs £8 million a year just to maintain our current level of care and, with around 10% of our income coming from government funding, we rely on our supporters’ generosity to keep the service running. What’s more, we know there are many more families desperate for our vital support, so it’s crucial we raise more funds to provide more care.
We have volunteer opportunities at our hospices and at our shops. Volunteers roles are very varied and include helping on reception, in the kitchen, housekeeping, gardening, pool watching, admin, fundraising, shops and at our events.