Newsletter Editor - Guildford Environmental Forum
Newsletter Editor – Guildford Environment Forum
Salary: Voluntary (expenses paid)
Hours: As necessary to produce an A4 quarterly newsletter of 12 to 16 pages
Guildford Environment Forum (GEF) are a Surrey based charity with a 25 year long history. We work to make Guildford (and the world beyond) a more sustainable place by educating, informing, cutting energy use, reducing ecological footprints, helping wildlife and tackling climate change. We work on local government climate change committees, and run various hands-on projects that generate action on the environment within our local community. To find out more about our work to date, please visit www.gefweb.org.uk.
As a membership organisation, GEF keeps members informed of the Forum’s work, and communicates to the wider public, via a quarterly newsletter. We are looking for a motivated volunteer, passionate about our natural environment, to take over the production of this newsletter.
Ideally, the candidate will possess the following:
- Experience in the field of communications
- Knowledge of pre-print procedures and liaison with print companies
- Good copywriting and editorial skills
- Competence with digital graphic design programmes such as InDesign and Photoshop
As the post is voluntary the specific responsibilities within the role will be negotiable, but would include:
- Organising a regular publishing schedule for the newsletter
- Ensuring the committee and all possible contributors are aware of copy deadlines
- Producing varied and exciting newsletter content
- Co-operating closely with all interested parties re timing of print production, cost, delivery, postage and distribution
- Encouraging members to contribute relevant articles and suggest new local topics
The time commitment will depend entirely upon the candidate’s experience in this field. Collection and collation of material, including illustrative content, will be essential, together with some rudimentary layout ideas. The ability to produce final print-ready design would be ideal, although time-consuming, three or four times a year.
If you are interested and able to volunteer for GEF in the above capacity then please do get in touch with Adrian Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org).