Guildford Cathedral Oral History Assistants
In March 2015, Guildford Cathedral was awarded a grant of £4.6 million by the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to undertake an ambitious 30 month project to secure the long term future of the building for the wider public benefit. Specifically the project will:-
Secure Guildford Cathedral’s survival through the removal of asbestos from the concrete ceiling vaults
Enrich the Visitor Experience by improving facilities, accessibility and interpretation
Widen and Deepen Community Engagement with the Cathedral and encourage a new generation to become involved, through:
- Capturing the story of the “The People's Cathedral” through the memories of individuals and bringing to life the rich history of the Cathedral.
- Improving and enhancing the range of learning opportunities available for children and adults.
- Expanding the portfolio of volunteering opportunities enabling individuals to feel embedded in the life of the Cathedral.
We are looking for enthusiastic and motivated volunteers with an interest in Guildford Cathedral, the local area and recording social history.
- Recording and editing interviews
- Writing summaries and transcribing interviews
- Selecting recorded material for use in interpretation, website and other outputs
- Attending project events to recruit oral history memory givers and promote the project to the wider community.
- Scanning of materials
- Researching archives
- Marketing and publicity through social media, websites and your networks
Personal interest in oral history and local heritage.
Experience of oral history projects or willingness to learn the necessary skills.
Approachable and friendly manner.
Attention to detail.
Proactive, can do approach.
If you are interested in this role or would like further information please click on the Sign Up button.
You will need to complete an application form which includes referees.
You will be fully briefed on the People’s Cathedral Project and supported by the HLF Project Manager and Volunteer and Apprentice Co-ordinator.
Guildford Cathedral is the mother church of the Diocese of Guildford, covering 500 square miles of Surrey, North east Hampshire, the London Borough of Kingston and a part of West Sussex. With a seating capacity of 1000, the Cathedral provides both focus and resource for the whole community, a venue for concerts, art and education, a place of pilgrimage, as well as stillness, prayer and daily choral worship.
Volunteers support the work and mission of the cathedral in friendly and convivial surroundings with interesting and like minded colleagues.