Become a befriender, visiting people in their own home to help overcome the social isolation felt by many people with a visual impairment.
Sight for Surrey is committed to working with blind and partially sighted people in Surrey. We provide services so people may lead fuller, more independent lives.
- Working on a one to one basis with the visually impaired person in their own home
- Provide social company and share interests
- Provide support and listening skills
- Give information about Sight for Surrey and local services
- Encourage and motivate clients to participate in activities/hobbies
- NOT to provide personal or health care
We are looking for flexible, yet reliable people who are confident in visiting people in their own homes. They should have good communication and listening skills, be friendly, helpful and understanding.
All volunteers will have initial training of one day to prepare for the role and learn about Sight for Surrey and its policies, awareness of visual impairment and sighted guide together with basic training on adaptive software for visually impaired people. Additional specialist training courses may be offered.
Expenses will be paid for mileage, phone call costs and any other relevant out of pocket expenses.
If you are interested please click on the 'application form' tab to apply
(Ash, Cranleigh, Farnham, Godalming, Guildford, Haslemere)