Virtual Befriender - added 15/10/20
Volunteer Role – Virtual Befriender
Role is This role to help to reduce the social isolation and loneliness
felt by many people with a visual impairment through the use of
telephone or internet
The r Role can include the following:-
- To befriend one or more vision impaired/blind people in Surrey through regular telephone or online contact from the volunteer’s own home using their own phone and/or internet
Volunteers for this role will have the following qualities:
- Flexibility, ability to work on own and be reliable
- Friendly, helpful and understanding
- Good communication and listening skills
- Patience and empathy for people with vision impairment and occasionally combined hearing loss
- To be able to pass on useful and supportive information to the person and liaise between the person and Sight for Surrey.
A regular commitment for this role will be once a week per client or as agreed,
which can be variable and negotiable. Your role will be reviewed periodically to
see how it is working for all.
Our volunteers are an essential part of our organisation, enabling us to provide a wide
breadth of services to our service users.
If you are interested please click on the 'application form' tab to apply
Sensory Services by Sight for Surrey is a charitable organisation that delivers specialist services to people who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing, have a vision impairment or combined sight and hearing loss. We provide services across Surrey so people may lead fuller, more independent lives.