Guildford - support parent with a young child
Home-Start Guildford is based in Burpham and is a family support charity that helps parents who are having difficulties whilst raising at least one child under the age of 5. We train and place volunteers, who have been parents themselves, with these families who visit and support them once a week for a few hours.
We run two training courses year: one starting in February and one starting in September. The course is one morning a week for 7 weeks, 9.30-2.00 incl lunch, with a break at half-term.
The families are usually referred by Health Visitors and need support whilst experiencing, for example, depression, isolation, illness/disability (of parent of child), multiple births, family breakdown and financial worries. The families live in the Guildford Borough and Bookham and Fetcham in Mole Valley. If you are interested in supporting these families, please read on to find out more about the volunteer role.
Home-Start volunteers need to be parents themselves: Parents supporting other parents - a simple idea that really works! We would require you to visit a family at home once a week for a few hours during the day, weekdays (and the support lasts on average for one year).
You will need to attend our free Volunteer Preparation Course, held in Guildford, with other new volunteers before suppporting a family - these courses run in term-time. We also need to carry out an enhanced DBS check and take up two references. Expenses are paid during training and while you volunteer for us. We ask that you can commit to us for at least one year.
The volunteer role involves:
- Visiting the families in their own homes for a few hours a week
- Offering confidential support, friendship and practical help
- Being reliable and understand the importance of reliability to the family
- Reassuring families that difficulties in bringing up children are not unusual
- Emphasising the positive aspects of family life
- Developing a relationship with the family in which time can be shared and an understanding can be developed
- Encouraging parents' strengths and emotional well-being for the ultimate benefit of their own children.
- Encouraging families to widen their network of relationships and to use effecitvely the support and services available in the community.
Please press the "sign up" button if you have any queries, questions and/or would like to apply. Thank you.
(Surrey VCs - Ash & Guildford)