Guildford - support parent with a young child
Home-Start Guildford is based in Burpham and is a family support charity that helps parents who are having difficulties whilst raising at least one child under the age of 5. We train and place volunteers, who have been parents themselves, with these families who visit and support them once a week for a few hours.
We run two training courses year: one starting in February and one starting in September. The course is one morning a week for 7 weeks, 9.30-2.00 incl lunch, with a break at half-term.
The families are usually referred by Health Visitors and need support whilst experiencing, for example, depression, isolation, illness/disability (of parent of child), multiple births, family breakdown and financial worries. The families live in the Guildford Borough and Bookham and Fetcham in Mole Valley. If you are interested in supporting these families, please read on to find out more about the volunteer role.
Home-Start volunteers need to be parents themselves: Parents supporting other parents - a simple idea that really works! We would require you to visit a family at home once a week for a few hours during the day, weekdays (and the support lasts on average for one year).
You will need to attend our free Volunteer Preparation Course, held in Guildford, with other new volunteers before suppporting a family - these courses run in term-time. We also need to carry out an enhanced DBS check and take up two references. Expenses are paid during training and while you volunteer for us. We ask that you can commit to us for at least one year.
The volunteer role involves:
- Visiting the families in their own homes for a few hours a week
- Offering confidential support, friendship and practical help
- Being reliable and understand the importance of reliability to the family
- Reassuring families that difficulties in bringing up children are not unusual
- Emphasising the positive aspects of family life
- Developing a relationship with the family in which time can be shared and an understanding can be developed
- Encouraging parents' strengths and emotional well-being for the ultimate benefit of their own children.
- Encouraging families to widen their network of relationships and to use effecitvely the support and services available in the community.
Please press the "sign up" button if you have any queries, questions and/or would like to apply. Thank you.
(Surrey VCs - Ash & Guildford)
Parents Supporting Other Parents - a simple idea that really works!
Home-Start Guildford has been supporting families for more than 20 years. We are a charity and voluntary organisation that aims to prevent family crisis or breakdown by offering regular volunteer support to parents who are under stress with at least one child under the age of 5, usually referred to us by Health Visitors.
We recruit and train volunteers who are parents themselves, to visit the families at home for a few hours once a week and offer them informal, friendly and confidential support, as well as practical help.
This support is aimed to help parents grow in confidence, strengthen their relationships with their children and widen their links with the local community. Ultimately this support helps the children have the best possible start in life.
Please see the volunteer role for more detail.