Learning Volunteer(Schools and Families at Brooklands Museum-posted 09.01.2020
Brooklands Museum’s mission is ‘to preserve and interpret the heritage of Brooklands, to use that heritage to inspire and educate and to provide a world-class visitor attraction accessible to all.’ The birthplace of British motor sport and aviation, and home of Concorde, Brooklands comprises an unparalleled collection of Vickers and Hawker aircraft, and Brooklands racing cars and motorcycles all displayed in and around the historic buildings on the site where many were originally built or maintained. Brooklands is unique and opens every day with the support of an award-winning team of volunteers.
- Welcome School groups on to site
- Interpret the site and history to groups through guided tours adapting to different age groups and learning style
- Deliver workshops and demonstrations
- Develop new activities when required
- Ambassador for the museum and its history and for the Learning Team
- Maintain a good working relationship with staff and other volunteers
- Comply with the museum H&S policy and always operate with a regard to good environmental practices.
- Willingness to learn tours, demos and workshop activities as per training provided
- Good team player
- Excellent communication skills, adaptability and good timekeeping
- Stamina to deliver activities for the required amount of time
- Good customer care skills – always courteous and helpful
- Experience of working with people of different ages and abilities
- Experience of working in a museum or education environment
- Induction, training and support
- Opportunity to develop new skills and meet new people
- The knowledge that you are making a significant difference to Brooklands Museum
- Free entrance to the Museum with 4 accompanying guests
- 20% discount in the Museum Shop and Sunbeam Cafe
Volunteer Hours: between 9.30am to 2.30 pm but this may vary depending on day bookings
This position is of a voluntary nature and your availability for undertaking the role will be agreed in advance with your supervisor. Ideally you should be able to commit to an ongoing weekly/monthly agreement.
All these arrangements are binding in honour only and not intended
to be legally binding.
Please click on the Sign Up button to apply or to receive further details.
Brooklands is the birthplace of motorsport & aviation. Here in 1907 the world's first purpose-built motor racing circuit was constructed. Here in 1908 A.V. Roe completed one of the first flights in the UK. Before and during the Great War famous names in aviation started here and during World War Two the site manufactured mainly Wellington Bombers. After the War Vickers produced many famous airliners such as the VC10 was heavily involved in the design & manufacture of Concorde.
Now Brooklands Museum is one of the foremost visitor attractions in Surrey with superb collections of cars and aircraft, a 4D Theatre & Concorde Experience plus much more. This is your chance to be a part of our heritage by becoming a volunteer and using your enthusiasm to bring the story of Brooklands to life.