Front of house
Our Volunteer Front of House Assistants are extremely important to us and make a significant contribution to the smooth running of the Museum by helping to look after the exhibitions and assisting visitors in an informed and friendly manner. This is done by knowing which events are happening in the museum and when, how to deal with a variety of enquiries and how to undertake all the necessary procedures to be a successful Front of House Volunteer. As the public face of Farnham Museum they welcome visitors and are the first point of contact between the organisation and the public. Farnham Museum as a volunteer would ideally suit those that have an interest in the work of the Museum, enjoy working with the public and as part of a team.
Commitment Required: Once a week
Hours: Mornings 10 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. or 1.30 p.m. -5 p.m.
(The museum opens to the public at 10 am and closes at 5pm)
Outline of tasks and activities to be undertaken:
- To greet visitors, record admissions, give a mini-guide etc. to sell tickets for events.
- To answer the telephone and record all messages in the log book, pass on all messages to the relevant contact.
- To handle initial inquiries about garden gallery hire and pass hirers details to the Assistant Curator.
- Take bookings for school loans boxes and completing relevant paperwork
- To handle initial enquiries about school sessions and passing the schools details on to Education Co-ordinator as appropriate for them to follow up the enquiry.
- To serve customers in the shop and operate the till.
- To keep the desk area and reception clean and tidy.
- To check the education room and tidy if necessary.
- To dust and stock the shop shelves.
- To get to know the stock especially the books. This will help with sales as customers frequently ask for guidance when choosing books.
- To check the memo book for notices which concern all volunteers.
- To tidy and restock the museum leaflet rack on the desk and in the corridor, throw out those leaflets which are out of date and make sure leaflets on the front desk are the Museum’s, the Maltings or the FDMS only.
- To tidy the children’s area ensuring that there is a supply of paper and pencils.
- To encourage repeat visits by promoting upcoming events at the end of every visit and hand out the relevant flyers.
- To fill out evaluation forms with customers.
Skills, Qualifications and Personal Qualities Required (Essential):
- Good communications skills. Have good level of spoken and listening English, particularly when on the telephone.
- Basic numeracy skills
- Ability and willingness to learn about the history of the museum and Farnham.
- Ability and willingness to learn to use the electronic till.
- Willingness to follow procedures.
- Willingness to seek assistance when necessary.
Skills, Qualifications and Personal Qualities Required (Desirable):
- Customer care experience and skills
- Ability to share information and knowledge to fellow volunteers and visitors
Standards of behaviour and dress:
- Smartly dressed including wearing name tag
- Polite, courteous and attentive to customers
- Respectful and supportive to fellow volunteers and staff.
- To make oneself aware of forth coming events and changes to procedures.
Training will be provided on the following areas/tasks:
- All aspects of the desk/shop tasks
- Health and Safety
- The Museums Child protection Policy
- Equal Opportunities