Weekend Museum Steward at Brooklands Museum-posted 09.01.2020
Brooklands Museum’s mission is ‘to preserve and interpret the heritage of Brooklands, to use that heritage to inspire and educate and to provide a world-class visitor attraction accessible to all.’ The birthplace of British motor sport and aviation, and home of Concorde, Brooklands comprises an unparalleled collection of Vickers and Hawker aircraft, and Brooklands racing cars and motorcycles all displayed in and around the historic buildings on the site where many were originally built or maintained. Brooklands is unique and opens every day with the support of an award-winning team of volunteers.
- To welcome and engage with our weekend visitors in the exhibition areas you are stewarding. To provide a watchful presence and ensure exhibits are safe from theft or accidental damage. To be as flexible as possible about stewarding in different areas to enable the small, dedicated weekend team to provide full cover
- To provide a friendly welcome to visitors of all backgrounds, ages and abilities
- To help visitors to understand the exhibits, thereby enriching their visit
- To monitor against theft and accidental damage
- To become familiar with fire escape routes from the building and lead visitors to safety in the event of an alarm activation
- To undertake other appropriate assistance in relation to room stewarding as may be reasonably requested by Brooklands Museum staff.
- To maintain good working relationships with staff and other volunteers
- To comply with the Brooklands Health and Safety and Safeguarding Policies and operate with a regard for good environmental practice
Personal Qualities Needed:
- Good communication skills
- Friendly to families, children and all Brooklands visitors
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Enthusiasm to learn about the history of Brooklands Museum and exhibits in a variety of exhibition areas
- A desire to inspire visitors about the history of Brooklands and support the Museum in relaying Brooklands stories.
- Induction, training and support
- Opportunity to develop new skills and meet new people
- The knowledge you are making a significant difference to Brooklands Museum’s visitors
- Complementary entrance to Brooklands Museum with accompanying guests
- 20% discount in the Museum Shop and Sunbeam Cafe
This position is of a voluntary flexible nature and your availability for undertaking the role will be agreed in advance with the Volunteer Coordinator or Volunteer Resources Manager. Ideally you should be able to commit to a regular weekend slot at least once a fortnight.
All these arrangements are binding in honour only and not intended
to be legally binding.
Please click on the Sign Up button to apply or to receive further details.
Brooklands is the birthplace of motorsport & aviation. Here in 1907 the world's first purpose-built motor racing circuit was constructed. Here in 1908 A.V. Roe completed one of the first flights in the UK. Before and during the Great War famous names in aviation started here and during World War Two the site manufactured mainly Wellington Bombers. After the War Vickers produced many famous airliners such as the VC10 was heavily involved in the design & manufacture of Concorde.
Now Brooklands Museum is one of the foremost visitor attractions in Surrey with superb collections of cars and aircraft, a 4D Theatre & Concorde Experience plus much more. This is your chance to be a part of our heritage by becoming a volunteer and using your enthusiasm to bring the story of Brooklands to life.