VOLUNTEER ROLE DESCRIPTION: GALLERY STEWARD
AIMS OF THE ORGANISATION: To promote the enjoyment, understanding and appreciation of George Frederick Watts and Mary Watts in the context of the nineteenth century, through conserving and restoring Watts Gallery - Artists’ Village and by promoting ‘Art for All’ to present and future generations.
AIM OF THE ROLE: Stewards make all the difference to every visitor’s experience at Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village. Stewards give a warm welcome, introducing the galleries as well as the family resources and activities available. By talking with visitors, Stewards help visitors to learn about and enjoy the story of G F and Mary Watts and get the most from their visit.
• Providing the public face of the Artists’ Village by giving a warm welcome to visitors and being available as a point of contact throughout their visit
• Enhancing the visitor experience by engaging them, letting them know about the resources available and imparting knowledge about the collection where appropriate
• Safeguarding the collection
• Helping make the Artists’ Village accessible to all
• Ensuring visitors’ safety by acting in an appropriate way during an emergency situation
• Acting as an ambassador for the Artists’ Village and its activities on and off site
HOURS: Shifts last 2 hrs OR 2 hrs 15 mins and volunteers can sign up to the rota online, by phone or in person. Scheduling is flexible, though the recommended commitment is one shift per week. Volunteers are welcome to sign up for more than one shift in a row. The minimum commitment is 2 shifts per month.
LOCATION: Watts Gallery and Watts Studios. There are three stewards in the Gallery and two stewards in the Watts Studios at any one time.
REPORTING STRUCTURE: Visitor Services Manager > Head of Operations > Director
TRAINING: A compulsory induction plus optional training on the collection and exhibitions throughout the year.
BENEFITS: Free admission to the Artists’ Village at any time, 10% discount in the Shop and Tea Shop, invitations to special events and private views, quarterly meetings, monthly bulletins and free training on the collection and exhibitions.
To apply for this role, please email the Visitor Services Manager, Tom Dench-Layton, at email@example.com