Trustee Needed - posted 24th May 2021
Time commitment: Approximately 10 hours a month
Overall Purpose: To take an active role in the charity activities. Responsible for governance and strategic direction of the charity with other Board members. To work in partnership and to support contractors and volunteers helping them to achieve the aims of the organisation.
Main duties and responsibilities:
•Ensure the charity is run in accordance with the governing document, charity law, company law and that the decisions of the Board and any other appropriate legislation or regulations are upheld.
• Ensure the charity pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
• Assisting with the development of strategic plans and ensuring the charity operates efficiently.
• Assisting in setting organisational aims and objectives and setting priorities.
• Supporting other trustees in their roles.
• Assisting with reports as required and being responsible for own secretarial work.
• Attending and actively participating in monthly Board meetings and yearly AGM.
• Seek out new opportunities to work with vulnerable residents in Surrey to promote the success of SDAC Ltd.
• Take delegated roles/tasks for the Board as discussed and agreed with the Chair and report back to the Board.
• Ensure that the charity’s confidentiality and safeguarding policies are adhered to with regards to the management of the charity.
• A commitment to the mission of SDAC to relieve sickness caused by substance misuse and those struggling with mental health.
• Previous experience of being a Trustee or Director and good understanding and knowledge of charity governance, although not essential.
• Preferably having worked within the community or with a voluntary organisation.
• Ability and skills to contribute objectively to Board meetings.
• Ability and commitment to give the minimum hours per month.
• Exemplary professional integrity.
• Sound independent judgement.
• Ability to think creatively.
• Excellent communications skills particularly tact, diplomacy and listening.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Ability to send and receive emails and posses basis IT skills including use of Microsoft Office.
Surrey Drug & Alcohol Care is a registered charity which has been set up as a result of a need in the county of Surrey for a confidential Freephone help line for substance misusers and those with mild to moderate mental health problems, their families, friends and colleagues, aiming to make a difference to their lives. Trained volunteers respond to the distress caused by substance misuse or mental health on a high quality help line that is accessible 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, emphasising empowerment and self-help.
- To provide information about county and countrywide resources and support to persons and organisations helping people experiencing the effects of substance misuse.
- To promote mental health well being county-wide.
- To promote, liaise and exchange information with relevant agencies both within the Surrey area and outside.
- To raise public awareness of the continuing impact of substance misuse.
- To advance the education of the harmful effects of drugs and alcohol amongst those young students in full time education in Surrey and professional groups.
- Website: www.sdac-helpline.co.uk
- Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/610138639182651/